cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT to desktop and separate router?

Hipwood
Neighbour
Couldn't find any prior threads specific to this question (although some were very close!).

My desktop is in the basement, along with my ONT and 3200M. The house is Ethernet wired and I have a UBIQUITI router on my main floor, currently plugged into the 3200 in the basement. Things are working fine but I want to confirm if I could just skip the 3200 and basically go:

ONT -> DESKTOP + ROUTER

Or does the ONT not act as a router/nat? In the above scenario, if it worked, I assume I'd pull 2 public IP's? One on desktop, one on router?

I should add that I don't have TV - just internet.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Hipwood Wrote:

Couldn't find any prior threads specific to this question (although some were very close!).

My desktop is in the basement, along with my ONT and 3200M. The house is Ethernet wired and I have a UBIQUITI router on my main floor, currently plugged into the 3200 in the basement. Things are working fine but I want to confirm if I could just skip the 3200 and basically go:

ONT -> DESKTOP + ROUTER

Or does the ONT not act as a router/nat? In the above scenario, if it worked, I assume I'd pull 2 public IP's? One on desktop, one on router?

=======================================================

You have a installation very similar to mine.

I guess I should ask which Ubiquiti device your utilizing in the stack? However....

Currently I have my fibre connected directly to my Ubiquiti USG-XG-8, make sure that you have forced the input port to 1Gbps on your Unifi device.

If you are looking to facilitate 2 external IP addresses from Telus on your system, you'll have to place a switch between your fibre and the Ubiquiti device for the first WAN IP, and then pull a second feed from the initial switch for your second WAN IP. 

You are correct in your assumption that doing this is easier without Optik TV, however, the remedy for that is to again place the switch prior to any other devices in the chain, and use the T3200M to facilitate your TV signal.

Other that that you should be just fine... Cheers...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Hipwood Wrote:

ONT -> DESKTOP + ROUTER

=======================================================

You have a installation very similar to mine.

I guess I should ask which Ubiquiti device your utilizing in the stack? However....

Currently I have my fibre connected directly to my Ubiquiti USG-XG-8, make sure that you have forced the input port to 1Gbps on your Unifi device.

If you are looking to facilitate 2 external IP addresses from Telus on your system, you'll have to place a switch between your fibre and the Ubiquiti device for the first WAN IP, and then pull a second feed from the initial switch for your second WAN IP. 

You are correct in your assumption that doing this is easier without Optik TV, however, the remedy for that is to again place the switch prior to any other devices in the chain, and use the T3200M to facilitate your TV signal.

Other that that you should be just fine... Cheers...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Thank you for the reply! The device is the alien router from the amplifi (residential) series.

I'm less concerned with 2 external IPs. My main desire is to have the alien on the main floor... But by doing so I cannot wire my basement desktop (gaming/work) to it. So I was hoping I could wire both into the ONT directly, since it's in the basement and all my in-wall Ethernet terminates beside it.

Does that make sense??

Again, things seem to be fine with my desktop + alien plugged into the 3200 (no bridge mode or anything, alien is just onto port 1 and my desktop on port 2)... I just for some reason would like to not use it if possible 🙂

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The ONT only has a single active ethernet port on it. You would need a switch down there to connect both the PC and the upstairs router. The ONT basically translates fibre to copper. It has no routing capabilities.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Ahh, gotcha! Thank you both very much - makes total sense.

So I guess the simplest thing for me to do would just be disable the wifi on the 3200 (since I'm not using it), and otherwise keep as is?