cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting speed of my internet plan using ethernet

JujhaarSekhon
Advocate
I have internet 150 with pure fibre and I connected my laptop to Ethernet and I was only getting the average speed of 95 mbps. My laptop supports up to gigabit speeds
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@xray the tech opened up a white box in my garage and he told me that some cable was broken so that’s why it I wasn’t getting full speed. Also he was fixing some wires in the panel as well.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

BrandonT
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @JujhaarSekhon ,

Sorry to hear your speeds are not 150 as expected. I am not the best when it comes to the fiber subject, but here are some things to add more content so others may better understand the issue. 

1. Click Here - To visit the basic TELUS Internet troubleshooting page
  2. Go to www.SpeedTest.net and complete the test & post your Upload, Download, and PING.
  3. If you have different Ethernet cable, try using it, and do the test again to see if you have different results.
  4. Are you plugged directly into the modem? or into a Ethernet port in the wall?

Click Here - To read some troubleshooting steps to try while you wait for an answer from the community. 

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

@BrandonT I plugged into the Ethernet port in the wall

Hi @JujhaarSekhon ,

When you get a chance, can you please try connecting your laptop using Ethernet directly to your Modem, going to www.SpeedTest.net and sharing your upload, download, and PING results?

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

@BrandonT I will post the results on Monday. My Ethernet adapter has stopped working so I ordered a new one

@BrandonT here are the results
Ping: 1ms
Download: 85.59 mbps
Upload: 92.70 mbps
Internet 150 pure fibre

Hi @JujhaarSekhon ,

These speeds are usually what you would expect on Internet 75 pure fibre.

Lets try the following...

1. Please double check your Internet plan on your MyTELUS account. Is it Internet 75 or 150?

2. Disconnect Ethernet cable, connect to your WiFi, and place your laptop around 5 feet from the modem. Then go to www.SpeedTest.net Please share your results.

3. In your network configuration, do you have a MoCA attached to your modem using Ethernet? Click Here for an image of a MoCA.

I checked my account and I have internet 150 pure fibre.
Did a speed test using wifi and the results were.
Ping: 2ms
Download: 95 mbps
Upload: 101 mbps
I had 17 active devices when I did test.
I do not have moca.
When I had my Ethernet jacks fixed the technician put a ethernet switch.
Ethernet switch model: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

@BrandonT I think I do have a moca because my Ethernet jack has a coax connecter as well

@BrandonT
I checked my account and I have internet 150 pure fibre.
Did a speed test using wifi and the results were.
Ping: 2ms
Download: 95 mbps
Upload: 101 mbps
I had 17 active devices when I did test.
I do not have moca.
When I had my Ethernet jacks fixed the technician put a ethernet switch.
Ethernet switch model: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

Hi @JujhaarSekhon ,

Alright, so with the tests done so far, we now know the wires from the modem to your devices likely not to be an issue since you are able to achieve similar results using WiFi which narrows down what to troubleshoot.

95mbps with 17 active devices is a very good speed.

That means the remaining 16 devices are sharing the remaining speeds of 55mbps (3.4mbps/device).

For safe measure, lets try disconnecting all devices except your laptop so we have a dedicated connection to the maximum speeds. 

• Test #1 - WiFi within 5 feet from the modem.
  • Test #2 - Ethernet directly to the modem.
  • Test #3 - Ethernet from the wall (like you initially had it)

If there are any issues, they should appear with these final tests. 

@BrandonT I have 3 devices connected to ethernet and is that why the ethernet speeds are low.
I have a dvr for cameras, tv that is connected to ethernet and cable box.
I will also do the 3 tests tomorrow

@BrandonT I turned off every device except for my laptop and I was getting a average speed of 95 download and 98 upload?
I will do the other tests tomorrow

I just got my Telus Pure 150/150 and Optik TV installed on Friday afternoon. Both my download and uploads speeds are a about 175 on ethernet cat5E on a desktop. But on my old laptop on wireless I was getting 75/79 around 5PM. When I tried a few hours later the same laptop was getting 110/125. On my daughters laptop running a Intel i5 processor she was getting 155/155. I’m pretty happy with the speed so far.

@BrandonT I did all the results and these were the results?
Test:1 5 feet away from modem:
using wifi with only one device using internet:
Download: 95.2
Upload: 98.4
Test:2 Ethernet directly to modem:
Download: 94.2
Upload: 94.3
Test:3 test through Ethernet jack:
Download: 91.6
Upload:92.7
I think modem is not working properly?

@BrandonT: I did all the tests and these were the results?
Test:1 5 feet away from modem:
using wifi with only one device using internet:
Download: 95.2
Upload: 98.4
Test:2 Ethernet directly to modem:
Download: 94.2
Upload: 94.3
Test:3 test through Ethernet jack:
Download: 91.6
Upload:92.7
I think modem is not working properly?

@BrandonT I just had a technician come over to fix it and now I'm getting speeds of 340 download.

@JujhaarSekhon Do you know what the tech did to fix it? It might help others who have similar issues.

@xray the tech opened up a white box in my garage and he told me that some cable was broken so that’s why it I wasn’t getting full speed. Also he was fixing some wires in the panel as well.

@JujhaarSekhon Thanks for the info.

On the fiber side it either connects or it doesn't. It must have been a bad Ethernet cable from the ONT to the modem. Gigabit connections require all 8 wires so if one or more are bad and it can only use/detect the 4 needed for 100 mbps then that's the best it can do, which matches your symptoms prior to the fix.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Possibly Xplornet would be a better fit fo you.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"