cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Condo, Has TELUS Fibre. Want to figure out best way to set up PC in second bedroom via ethernet

loganjdkelley
Just Moved In

Just bought a new condo. TELUS Hub is located by the entryway, and my PC/gaming room is set up in the second bedroom. This is a good distance away from the hub. There are CAT5e ports set up throughout the home, including the second bedroom where my PC is currently/will be. How can I set up my PC so it's hardwired, without running that cable 100-200ft across my baseboards?

I tried plugging my pc into the ethernet jack in the wall like a genius and no it did not work/do anything lol.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your CAT5e ports are working you may wish to consider powerline networking. I've had good results and use it extensively in my condo. Something like this is fairly inexpensive and easy to set up:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter (TL-PA4010 KIT) - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline A...

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you're in a condo, most newer ones have a smart panel where all the ethernet lines converge. In my building it's in the bedroom closet but I've seen others in different places depending on the builder.  Basically, you'll need to put a gigabit switch where all the wires meet and connect all the lines in there.  

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your CAT5e ports are working you may wish to consider powerline networking. I've had good results and use it extensively in my condo. Something like this is fairly inexpensive and easy to set up:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter (TL-PA4010 KIT) - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline A...

Hey Fuzzy, that solution looks interesting, thank you for mentioning it. Do you mind sharing a bit more details? After your post I started investigating more and unfortunately, even very recent posts pretty much all say that the speeds these devices achieve are not even close as the promised levels. They seem to max out at around 60Mb/s. What speeds do you see in your case? 

I have the same connectivity issue in my condo and after trying and gave up with Telus Boost, I've laid out an ugly (temporary) long ethernet cable to the bedroom where I need high speed internet. This solution is promising, but if I can't get close to the 750Mb/s I get from Telus it's not really a solution. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I resorted to PowerLine many years ago when wireless wasn't an option for a couple of desktop computers. I'm still running AV200 (top speed of 200 Mbps). This is more than adequate for what I need. I had tried wireless adapters but speeds were terrible and inconsistent. I only have Internet 75 as fiber isn't currently an option in my building. There is now AV2000 (top speed 2000 Mbps) but anything over AV600 requires properly grounded outlets to achieve these speeds.

To get the speeds you're hoping for you will need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip, that helps a lot!

xray
Hero

You need to determine where the ethernet jacks are connected to on the other end. It will most likely be where cable/telephone comes into your condo. Chances are the other end isn't plugged into the router.

[edit] Wow, that's strange. When I viewed this post today there were no replies and by the time I replied it shows other replies from previous days????