cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Port Forwarding On a Non-Standard Port

Climbingman
Just Moved In
Hi there,

I recently put up a weather station that outputs it’s data as a simple website but it has only been available on my local network and I am trying to get it to be public by port forwarding. I know that Telus blocks port 80 on residential accounts but I’ve heard of a way to do it using non standard ports like 8080. If anyone knows anything about this you help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cohen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've done a similar thing for my NAS. You will likely need to set up a static IP for your weather station and may be able to change the default port for your website. You would need to check the documentation for you weather station to see if that is possible.

To setup a static IP on the T3200 you will need to go to Advanced Setup on the T3200. From there you will go to DHCP reservation to set up the static IP.

Once that is done you can do the port forwarding under Firewall.

For example you can reserve 192.168.1.100 for your weather station.

Then do a port forward for 192.168.1.100 with the WAN port being 8080 and the LAN port of 80.

To access your weather station you will need to point to the Modem IP address for your router and then append :8080 to go to that port. Something like http://172.219.3.4:8080/

I hope that helps.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've done a similar thing for my NAS. You will likely need to set up a static IP for your weather station and may be able to change the default port for your website. You would need to check the documentation for you weather station to see if that is possible.

To setup a static IP on the T3200 you will need to go to Advanced Setup on the T3200. From there you will go to DHCP reservation to set up the static IP.

Once that is done you can do the port forwarding under Firewall.

For example you can reserve 192.168.1.100 for your weather station.

Then do a port forward for 192.168.1.100 with the WAN port being 8080 and the LAN port of 80.

To access your weather station you will need to point to the Modem IP address for your router and then append :8080 to go to that port. Something like http://172.219.3.4:8080/

I hope that helps.

Ok, I setup everything how you suggested but I haven't changed the default port on the weather station because its kind of a pain. Is changing the port on the station necessary?

Thanks

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You shouldn't need to change the port on the weather station.