cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Extender/Access Point off T3200M

PoCoGuy
Neighbour

I have a T3200M and am ineligible to upgrade to the Wifi 6.  I'd like to expand my wifi reach, but the Telus Boost units won't work for me as my 2.4 GHz devices (bulbs, plugs, cameras, sensors) don't want to connect to the smart steering - at least when I tried it with the T3200M smart steering. 

I can use a regular wifi extender, but this won't mesh my network.  Any suggestions on the best way to wifi extend/access point mesh my place with a dual band setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have some older 2.4 GHz only devices that would not connect to the newer wi-fi access points. Had intermittent results with the T3200M but no luck with the new Wi-Fi 6 boost connected to the T3200M. To get things to work Wi-Fi is disabled on the T3200M and 2.4 GHz is disabled on the Wi-Fi 6 boost. I'm currently using this for my 2.4 GHz access point:

XAVNB2001 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Sadly this is pretty dated equipment and is 2.4 GHz only and no longer available. TP-Link has a similar offering that MAY work for you:

TP-Link Powerline WiFi Extender (TL-WPA4220 KIT) - Powerline Adapter with WiFi, 2 100Mbps Ethernet P...

It's also 2.4 GHz only. I have the same SSID for both bands and it's been pretty solid for me.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did Telus say why you are ineligible for the Wifi 6 Boost unit? I have one and it works fine with my 2.4GHz devices.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

They said they are only giving them out to new subs due to a scarcity of the devices.  I was hoping for one as I heard they would work well for my purpose - as you also suggest they would. 

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have some older 2.4 GHz only devices that would not connect to the newer wi-fi access points. Had intermittent results with the T3200M but no luck with the new Wi-Fi 6 boost connected to the T3200M. To get things to work Wi-Fi is disabled on the T3200M and 2.4 GHz is disabled on the Wi-Fi 6 boost. I'm currently using this for my 2.4 GHz access point:

XAVNB2001 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Sadly this is pretty dated equipment and is 2.4 GHz only and no longer available. TP-Link has a similar offering that MAY work for you:

TP-Link Powerline WiFi Extender (TL-WPA4220 KIT) - Powerline Adapter with WiFi, 2 100Mbps Ethernet P...

It's also 2.4 GHz only. I have the same SSID for both bands and it's been pretty solid for me.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.