Did you mean: 

Is telus pots over gpon voip or rf over glass or what is it

CalgaryNetwork
Organizer
Is telus pots over gpon voip or rf over glass or what is it
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Upcraft
Ambassador
It is packet voice using voip protocols. Or digital voice.

Because the connection is end to end private and quality of service priority tagging is applied to the traffic for low jitter allowing most analog applications like fax and alarm circuits to work unmodified. But not fully compatible with modem technologies that used aggressive pcm modulations like 33.6k baud or 56k modem speeds. Some lifeline style devices have problems due to sending dtmf digits at higher rate than the adapter can support and require replacement. 14.4k modem and faxing is reliable on it, 33.6k is not.

It is not rf over glass. Telus routes all data including voice as packets on the new fiber network, not an analog wave modulation.

You can look up the protocols the ont supports:
• Maximum REN: 4
• G.711A/μ, G.729a/b, and G.722 encoding/decoding
• T.30/T.38/G.711 fax mode
• DTMF
• Emergency calls (with the SIP protocol)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Upcraft
Ambassador
It is packet voice using voip protocols. Or digital voice.

Because the connection is end to end private and quality of service priority tagging is applied to the traffic for low jitter allowing most analog applications like fax and alarm circuits to work unmodified. But not fully compatible with modem technologies that used aggressive pcm modulations like 33.6k baud or 56k modem speeds. Some lifeline style devices have problems due to sending dtmf digits at higher rate than the adapter can support and require replacement. 14.4k modem and faxing is reliable on it, 33.6k is not.

It is not rf over glass. Telus routes all data including voice as packets on the new fiber network, not an analog wave modulation.

You can look up the protocols the ont supports:
• Maximum REN: 4
• G.711A/μ, G.729a/b, and G.722 encoding/decoding
• T.30/T.38/G.711 fax mode
• DTMF
• Emergency calls (with the SIP protocol)

I've been wondering about this for awhile so thanks for the explanation.  I have fibre and the Home Phone service with the T3200 box.  The phone service is provided via the RJ11 jacks on the T3200 so I assume the T3200 performs the function of an ATA device to convert the digital signal to analogue.  I'm wondering if the voice service is "available" over the ethernet RJ45 ports on the T3200 ... i.e. if things could be configured so that the Home Phone service is available as a true VOIP service over ethernet and you could use a VOIP phone.

The T3200 router has nothing to do with delivery of phone service on the fiber network.  If you still have phone cables plugged in to the t3200 rj11 ports after switching to fiber they can be removed.  These ports are for the VDSL modem built into that router.  They have no functionality for providing voice service.  If you switched over from VDSL they can be unplugged.  If that action causes your internet to stop then either your t3200 was not reset to switch the WAN from VDSL modem mode to ethernet WAN mode and you have been still been operating on the old copper lines or you are confused about the differences between fiber and copper service.  If you do not have fiber and thought the t3200 was fiber based service based on the way Telus names and markets their products I could understand that confusion.  "Optik" branding sounds like fiber.  Most/All of the big providers have created similar branding that causes confusion over what is fiber to the home and what is still copper services.

For fiber customers with voice over fiber, the White Nokia or Huawei ONT box has the analog terminal adapter feature and that is where the phone service is provided from.  The traffic for this voice is logically separate from your internet traffic so there is no way to provide dialtone through the T3200 box on the RJ11 or RJ45 ports.  You can subscribe to a third party VOIP product over your internet connection, or you can subscribe to Telus business connect (a rebranding of Ring Central) products to obtain VOIP services over your internet connection as an alternative. 

Ah yes you are right - the phone service is connected to the RJ11 jack on the ONT - and not the 3200 as I had mistakenly said.  In any case I think my question still stands - can I access the Home Phone service over the ethernet feed from the ONT rather than via the ATA and RJ11 jack?  I'm suspecting the answer is negative if Telus is reselling RingCentral for VOIP service.

No, I thought I was clear on this. The Telus home phone service is on a completely private network. It cannot be accessed beyond the ONT. There is no way to have home phone over the ethernet jacks. It does not exist on the Internet. It is on a separate private network.

If you want over the top style voip that would be a different product.

OK.  Thanks for your explanations and advice.