cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside Wiring Help

falkens_maze
Just Moved In

If I called Telus would they be able to send a technician for a small wiring job?
Asking here before I try call and be hold for 20+ minutes (basing on times in the past).

We are living in an old house and there is coax going from the Telus modem up through the floor then a short distance out to a jack on the 1st floor. What I would like to do is completely replace that coax with an ethernet cable connected from my 3rd party router up through that jack to a 3rd party network switch, then wire more stuff to the switch after.

I tried wrapping the coax and the STP cat7 wire I have and pull it through to the bottom, but it seems the hole was too small for the head of the cat7 so wrapping them together isn't actually workable. I would have to make the hole bigger or drill an entirely new hole. I don't have wall fishing equipment so hoping I could just get a tech to do it. It should be like a 10 minute job.

Anyone know if this is a service they would provide and how much it would be? I saw another thread where it looks like it's $120/hour.

2 REPLIES 2

falkens_maze
Just Moved In

Going to buy some adhesive sandpaper and dowels and just try to sand the hole in the baseboard to make it bigger. Wish me luck.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could consider using MOCA adapters to convert ethernet to coax, and back again, or power line adapters.

Telus will do the job, as will many electricians, but the fees are sizeable.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"