cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I upgraded to PureFibre 1.5 GB but speed remains 1GB

MariuszStepien
Neighbour

It is a simple set up, one hard wired computer and Cat6 cable. Telus support not very helpful. I'm confused - did all the restarts etc... Any suggestions ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MariuszStepien Wrote: which should support connection up to 10GB

No sorry, it only supports a 1Gbps connection... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

DrPacman
Rockstar

@MariuszStepien Wrote: It is a simple set up, one hard wired computer and Cat6 cable.

A number of caveats on installing 1.5Gbps internet:

1. Telus says that the 1.5Gbps is cumulative i.e you'll see a total of 1.5Gbps download amongst all your devices. Not necessarily on a single device.

2. Some of us have created systems that can, and do support the total bandwidth on a single connection.

3. Undertaking the creation that supports a single connection is not for the faint of heart. You require additional hardware, and some knowledge to obtain these speeds.

My suggestion would be to have a gander at the following YouTube videos' for an idea of what may be involved with what you want to achieve.... Cheers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WWO_4p4UP0&list=RDLV2P6Miz-wRcw&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzk69kHLu1o

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

What is the speed limit of your network card on your computer? Likely 1GB.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

@FuzzyLogic Likely 1GB.

Thank you for this... I checked my reply and noticed that I had plum forgot to mention this point... Cheers...

My Ethernet - 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector) - which should support connection up to 10GB

@MariuszStepien Wrote: which should support connection up to 10GB

No sorry, it only supports a 1Gbps connection... Cheers...

That's helpful thank you.

This 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet speed is Max 1Gb ( most new motherboard support 2.5G also the new Wi-Fi 6 card can reach 2.4G speed... 

I also read in another forum, on some of the Telus modems, one port is available for 1.5 GBPS, but the rest are limited to 1 GBPS. Once you have the right set up, I would test it. 

The newer ONT/Modems have a 10Gbps port that can support a direct connection, or be placed into bridged mode to connect additions user supplied equipment. This would allow for an entire networks ability to connect at 1.5Gbps or faster connections. Cheers

cryptoinvestor
Organizer

I was just wondering your probably on residential and pay 75 dollars a month for 1 gigabyte speeds? both up and down? wow I was just wondering how is my situation even close to fair I have to pay 100 dollars for 5 MBS / .8 mbs ? and sadly when you upload you can't even use the connection.

My parents and I live in Metro Vancouver. But in my town I have 1 GBPS and for the same money in their town, one city over, they are limited to 75 MBPS. Telus is random at how their fibre is being deployed.

RyDawg
Advisor

Was wondering what router you currently have from Telus? I believe you need the new Network Access Hub in order to get speeds beyond a gigabit, as that has the 10G ethernet port. Not sure about the older Wi-Fi hub though.

@RyDawg Wrote: I believe you need the new Network Access Hub in order to get speeds beyond a gigabit, as that has the 10G ethernet port.

This is indeed a correct assumption. You will require the NHA style Access hub to achieve the increased speeds.

The attached is an example of the current supported style of hub capable of achieving the 1.5Gbps, 2.5Gbps speeds.... Cheers...

1b6929_673.png