cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect NAS or USB backup to T3200M for Time Machine?

Frznrth
Organizer

Hi

The T3200M came with my Opitix.  I used to use an apple AirPort/Time Capsule router that let me do wireless backups with Time Machine.  I've tried hooking up an old StarTech NAS with an ethernet cable and a USB hard drive to the T3200M but nothing shows up in the Time Machine as something to save to.  I've tried rebooting everything but that didn't help.  Is there something I need to change on the T3200M's setup page?

I first tried connecting the AirPort/Time Machine to the T3200M but I couldn't get that to work either.  I don't want to use the separate apple wifi signal.  It seems easier if I just use the telus one.  

Thanks for the help - Telus Support thought just hooking up the wires was enough - guess not.  

13 REPLIES 13

Frznrth
Organizer

I found a post suggesting to change the SAMBA setting to Enabled.  I tried that but neither storage device shows up as a "device name" - I tried rebooting the NAS again and refreshed the Admin page but nothing shows.  

rc
Rockstar

Does the NAS show up on the status page of the t3200, with an assigned ip address?

It might - there are three "unknown" devices - I'm assuming the NAS would show up as "unknown".  I disconnected it and refreshed the page and all the same "unknowns" were still there.  Switched cables.  Started the NAS back up - no change in what is listed - so maybe not?

Do you know how I would find the IP of the NAS?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

AS far as I know, USB devices are not assigned an IP address. They belong to the device to which they are attached.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sorry - I found it in the NAS manual - it doesn't seem to show up on the modem.  

I'll give up on the USB storage device.  Hopefully someone can help me with the NAS

The NAS info says

"Time Machine requires the protocols CIFS (Common Internet File System) and SMB (Server Message Block) to function. When you use this device as a NAS device, these protocols are not supported. If you use this device as a DAS (Direct Attach Storage) device, you can use Time Machine."

So does that mean that it won't work though the modem and that I would have to connect it directly to my mac?

If I can't get the NAS or my USB device to work with the telus modem, am I better off getting a different modem (does optik work with non telus modems?) or get a different NAS?

Thanks for the help

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

"Time Machine requires the protocols CIFS (Common Internet File System) and SMB (Server Message Block) to function. When you use this device as a NAS device, these protocols are not supported. If you use this device as a DAS (Direct Attach Storage) device, you can use Time Machine."

So does that mean that it won't work though the modem and that I would have to connect it directly to my mac?”

Yes, you would need to connect that particular device to your Mac to use Time Machine.

If you want a network connected device, I strongly suggest an Ethernet-connected NAS.

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those who have tried to set up network drives onto USB of the T3200M have had little success. I don't recall if the T3200M still requires FAT formatted drives, or if that was older routers (it's been a long time). My suggestion is either to set up an Ethernet-connected NAS, or to connect the USB NAS to one of the computers on your network, and share it from there.

NFtoBC

RonAKA
Rockstar

About all I can say is that I use a MyBookLive NAS device for backup. It is just plugged into ethernet and seems to work. This is what my device table looks like.

RonAKA_0-1602692073983.png

Its only the one mac that I use with Time Machine so I think I will try a 512 gb flash drive in the mac's USB - no worries about wireless.  

Thanks for trying to help though.

It would still be great to know if a "better" router would be a good thing or not - assuming they all work with Optik?

Thanks