cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, how to run Telus's Fiber line via GPON into my router and get IP

onionshred
Just Moved In

Hello,

I am aksing for help for using my own router instead of Telus's T3200M Modem/Router combo.

The way Telus has it set up is that their fiber lines goes into the T3200M via their own GPON.

I have unplugged Telu's own GPON from their own modem and I have plugged into my Fiber media converter, and from the media converter I run an ethernet cable into WAN port of my router. But obviously my router cannot get IP from Telus. So basically what I want to do is:
Telus FIber Line GPON --> My own fiber media converter --> my own router.

When I go into the T3200M settings I see that it is configured by RFC1483 DHCP - but I don't know how to replicate this in my own router OR what I should do to get IP in my router from Telus.

I know for example with Bell you select PPPOE, put in your username password and VLAN 35 - but clearly RFC1483 DHCP is something I don't know much about.

I'd appreciate your help.!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@onionshred Wrote: I am aksing for help for using my own router instead of Telus's T3200M Modem/Router combo.

You can bypass the Telus equipment and directly install you GPon into a Ubiquiti router that has a SFP port on the WAN link. Just have to make sure you lock the port speed at 1Gbps and not auto negotiation. So the UDMPro, UDMPro SE, and even the  Security Gateway Pro 4 are capable of doing what you want to achieve. Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@onionshred Wrote: I am aksing for help for using my own router instead of Telus's T3200M Modem/Router combo.

You can bypass the Telus equipment and directly install you GPon into a Ubiquiti router that has a SFP port on the WAN link. Just have to make sure you lock the port speed at 1Gbps and not auto negotiation. So the UDMPro, UDMPro SE, and even the  Security Gateway Pro 4 are capable of doing what you want to achieve. Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

"You can bypass the Telus equipment and directly install you GPon into a Ubiquiti router that has a SFP port on the WAN link."

Really? I am unable to remove that from the T3200M. Any suggestions as to proper removal prior to yanking on it with vise grips?

onionshred
Just Moved In

@DrPacman, thank you!!!!