cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Bridge NAH To A Router - Will Ethernet ports on the NAH stop working?

poodude289
Organizer

Just title, I would rather avoid moving a couple cables if I can help it and just leave them in the NAH after full-bridge

15 REPLIES 15

steppedflower
Organizer

All Ehernet ports still work after changing it to full bridge.

Is there a negative to leaving them in or a positive to switching them? It's mainly some IPTV cables and stuff I'm thinking of

I assume you have the Nokia ONT as well and NAH sits between ONT and router. In this case, there is no point of keeping NAH. I have my own router connected directly to ONT and works just fine.

I have the alcatel ont, I have to keep the NAH for at least a couple of things because my AXE75 won't have enough room for everything.

I take it I can just take the wan port from the alcatel and stick it in the wan port of my AXE75 and do full bridge mode? Or do I have to use port 1 on the NAH?

If you'd like to use your AXE75 as router, the NAH can be bridged to give you more ports. Just connect the port 1 to one of AXE75's Lan ports, then you can connect other devices to the rest of 4 ports.

What about WAN?

Once bridged, all 5 ports of NAH are equal. There is no WAN.

LAN from AXE into port 1 of NAH, or WAN from AXE into port 1 of NAH? Then what about the modem? Currently it's in the 10G port of the NAH

Last question swear lol, thank-you!

Alcatel ONT into WAN of AXE, then any LAN port of AXE into 10G port of NAH. This makes all remaining ports on AXE and NAH become LAN ports. For service less than 1Gbps, 10G port is useless. It's just another GbE port.

I should only move the alcatel ont wan into the axe if I want to get rid of the NAH completely right? Idk, this is a lot harder than it should be because I have a lot of people telling me different things in terms of full-bridging, I'm fairly confused at this point lol because Idk what information is right or wrong.

I need the IPTV to work, and I want to full bridge my AXE75 from my NAH, if possible to remove the NAH that's preferable, but if I have to keep it for the IPTV then that's fine too. Idk if I'm even supposed to move the PVR cable over into my AXE or not lol. I might just have to pay tech support to do it for me.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If by IPTV you are referring to Optik TV, and you have the older Optik hardware, keep it all connected to the NAH. The majority of third party routers don't correctly handle multicast traffic so the boxes will have issues. If you have the new Android TV based Optik box, then that works without needing the Telus gateway. Third party IPTV devices usually should work on most routers but there's always the odd one that has issues.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have any connection issues, Telus will not assist if you are using the AXE router and you may have to reconnect the NAH for troubleshooting purposes. Any wireless issues will depend if you're using the AXE or the Telus supplied wifi access point. If it's the AXE, no support from Telus. If you remove the NAH, it would be a good idea to keep the NAH somewhere close by in case you have issues. If you do have connection problems and Telus sends out a tech and they find that your own hardware is the cause, they will charge for the visit. $150 has been quoted on the forums in the past by other users.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Okay

New Digital TV Box & Cloud PVR - Optik TV Hardware | TELUS

Is this the Android thing you were talking about? Replacing the current IPTV boxes I have hooked up to the TV's will allow me to full bridge my router and keep them working?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can full bridge the NAH. Your router would end up on port 1(10G) and the old Optik boxes on the rest. There are differences between the older Optik boxes and the new ones. The older Optik hardware has some advantages currently if you record TV. New hardware has more flexibility in that it runs AndroidTV apps. Getting upgraded to the new boxes if you already have the old ones is a bit more complicated. If you did somehow manage to get the new hardware, then you could skip the NAH. As mentioned before, you'd want to keep it on a shelf nearby for troubleshooting purposes if you have connection issues with your router.

When I was using my own third party router, I just had it connected to my T3200 and did not bother bridging my T3200. Never had any issues either when doing it that way. Depending what you plan to do with your network, and run on it, that may or may not work for you and the NAH.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

fametomex
Just Moved In

I take it I can just take the wan port from the alcatel and stick it in the wan port of my AXE75 and do full bridge mode? Or do I have to use port 1 on the NAH?