cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email: "Your TELUS My Account profile is locked"

RonAKA
Rockstar

I few weeks ago I got an email with this title. A snip of the body of the email is below. I checked my account and I could sign in fine, so I just ignored it. Now in the last day I have received this same message three times. Does anyone know if this is a scam or what? I sent a copy to the Telus abuse email but have not received a response. If this is a legit email from Telus has anyone else had this issue? It would seem there must be some kind attempts to hack into the Telus accounts.... I changed my password, but I don't know what else I can do?

RonAKA_0-1606495330768.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I changed my account login from my Telus email many years ago to a non-telus domain.
See my post below about some suggestions.
https://forum.telus.com/t5/My-Home-Account/Unauthorized-Access-Telus-Profile-Locked/m-p/113645/highl...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

You took the right step by going to the site and logging in. Scammers will use randomly fished emails to try and convince people of a problem, so as long as you don't click the link, you're fine. Telus cannot do anything about it, because it's people spoofing what their emails look like. I get emails from Shaw from time to time, but I haven't had Shaw in years. 

All you can really do is, if you get that kind of email, go to the website directly and don't click links.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I received that message today as well. Seems Telus has become to target of hackers recently. As @giantbrownguy suggests a strong password is the best defence.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

RobBar
Friendly Neighbour

A strong PW in this Telus scam does not matter as the email says you have been locked out after 5 attempts on the mobile app.

In truth you prove by signing in to the mobile app and all is fine

As you say , do not reply to the spam email 

momo1
Just Moved In

I'm having the same issue since yesterday. I've received 5 emails from TELUS saying "Your TELUS My Account profile is locked. To prevent unauthorized access, we have locked your TELUS My Account after five unsuccessful attempts to log in," in one day. This is obvious that someone is trying to hack my account. I called Telus to notify this activities and asked to find out what's happening, but the service rep just told me there wasn't anything wrong to my account or she couldn't see my account access history. I changed my password to more complex one after the first time locked yesterday, but it continued happening. I feel my personal information is not secured. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@momo1 

Do you use your email address as your login?

Do you use that email address anywhere else, such as to send emails?

If these are the case, then how do you feel your personal information has been compromised?

Your email has likely been shared with thousands of individuals and companies.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC 

I do use my email address as my log in. I didn't think there was a choice. Is there a way to change it to something else?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have no idea. If you choose to explore this possibility, please share your results!

NFtoBC

I changed my account login from my Telus email many years ago to a non-telus domain.
See my post below about some suggestions.
https://forum.telus.com/t5/My-Home-Account/Unauthorized-Access-Telus-Profile-Locked/m-p/113645/highl...

RobBar
Friendly Neighbour

In Telus ,, you can setup an Alias, infact the original email name you get is a blip of xnnxnnx. telus.net  as your but you can change to your hearts desire.

In my case the mobile app I use with my email id to my account uses a different pw  then to my same id on my telus gmail account which means they are not hacking into the email account gmail itself only to the mobile app

So Telus has a problem period

RonAKA
Rockstar

I got a response from Telus Abuse. The email is legit, but there is a problem. Their response:

"This email is from TELUS.  TELUS is doing what we can to mitigate this attack on our server and hope to have it stopped soon.

The best defense for this is to ensure you have a secure password...

When choosing a password you want to use something that is completely different from one you used before or on any other sites.  Longer is better, letters, numbers and non-alphanumeric characters make it harder to crack."

It sounds like they know what is going on, and the only defense is a strong password. Thank you for all the responses. I have strengthened my password, and I guess will just ignore these emails. I think I am up to 4 in the last 24 hours. 

RobBar
Friendly Neighbour

Yes we have received same three times in last week. I did what you did in accessing my Iphone MyApp from Telus and able to signin fine.

I did NOT change my PW....

I also sent the email to Abuse Telus... not heard back at all

I did not clicked anything on that email