cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyright infringement notice

ottawa
Just Moved In

I keep getting emails from Telus notifying me of a copyright infringement claim against my internet account. I have no idea what it refers to and I don't want to open the attachment in case it contains a virus. In fact, I don't even have a Telus account anymore. Does anyone know if this message is legitimate?

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Care to post the wording of the email?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

Did you look at the mail header information to see if it is actually from Telus?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those copyright infringement claims are typically generated as a result of someone using your connection  to download a media file (TV, movie, music), usually from torrents. The notice will identify the file at the bottom of the message without needing to open the attachment. I wouldn't recommend opening the attachment anyways as they're often Word documents full of macros.

The bottom of the email will look something like:

You are subscribed as (your Telus account email address).

Your IP address is ###.###.###.###.

Time of event: 2021-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
Date of event: 2021-MM-DD HH:MM:SS
Asset title: <Name of show/movie/song/file>
IP address: ###.###.###.###
Notification ID: (some mix of letters and numbers)

The IP address in the message should match your router / public IP address. (https://whatismyip.com/)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Given that you don't have a Telus account I suspect this is either a phishing attempt or possibly malware.

What is the sender's email address?

Just a long time customer hoping to help.