cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Basement Tenant to existing Pure Fibre

MetaBotNot
Friendly Neighbour

Dear Group,

I am the house owner who has been using Pure Fibre for many years for Internet, Optik and VOIP Home Phone.

The fibre comes into the main floor where the T3200M resides and is redistributed throughout the house via

existing coax cable using the supplied MOCA boxes.  I have my own Telus account and do not wish to share any of my services with my Tenant.

My basement suite Tenant is happy to have his own Telus account and has the Telus Internet 100 Plan that uses ADSL modem plugged into the existing phone jack.  Telus has told him that he must convert to fibre because copper is being decommissioned in the neighborhood.

Question

I absolutely do not want to have Telus run additional cables to my Tenants basement suite.

Can Telus convert my Tenants service to copper by continuing to reuse the telephone lines or perhaps

use the existing coax cable that I am using with the MOCA boxes?

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this matter.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can Telus convert my Tenants service to copper by continuing to reuse the telephone lines or perhaps”
No. As Telus moves away from copper to Fibre, there is no means to maintain copper at the house. As you don’t want to share your current connection, your only option is to find the best means of adding a fibre connection to your apartment space.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can Telus convert my Tenants service to copper by continuing to reuse the telephone lines or perhaps”
No. As Telus moves away from copper to Fibre, there is no means to maintain copper at the house. As you don’t want to share your current connection, your only option is to find the best means of adding a fibre connection to your apartment space.

NFtoBC

MetaBotNot
Friendly Neighbour

Hi There,

thanks for the prompt reply.

I think Telus installed two fibre lines to my house.  I am using one with a T3200M and MOCA boxes.  Could Telus use the 2nd fibre line with a 2nd T3200M + MOCA boxes to supply internet service to my basement tenant?  Telus could install the 2nd T3200M near my T3200M as well.  I'm not sure if it is an issue sharing the coax with two different T3200M modem signals or whether it can be done.  I understand the newer MOCA boxes have passwords so that may be a means separating our data on the coax.  I would appreciate your thoughts.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you could set up a second network on the second fibre connection.

I have no knowledge of MOCA and passwords.

NFtoBC

MetaBotNot
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the reply and your help.

I just spoke to Pure Fibre Tech Support this morning and he also confirmed that I had a 2nd fibre available for use for the tenant.  In my particular situation he said they would use the existing coax line  going directly to the tenant's area with a MOCA box and a Wifi extender.