cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use shaw cable with telus internet?

slutboy143
Neighbour
The new place I'm moving into has telus internet and I want shaw cable can I use the two together?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RonAKA
Rockstar

I think the short answer is no. Shaw is not going to run their internet over Telus copper or fiber. You need Shaw cable into your residence to run Shaw. We have both and I compared the two options and picked Telus. I think your real issue is your e-mail address. If it is a Shaw address you may have to change the e-mail to a Telus one, or to save some hassle just go direct to Google Mail. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

polecat
All-Star

@slutboy143  You can but if telus does't have fiber in the building you internet speed will maybe not what you want or require. slower speeds on copper. You best talk to telus and or building manager.  I

RonAKA
Rockstar

I think the short answer is no. Shaw is not going to run their internet over Telus copper or fiber. You need Shaw cable into your residence to run Shaw. We have both and I compared the two options and picked Telus. I think your real issue is your e-mail address. If it is a Shaw address you may have to change the e-mail to a Telus one, or to save some hassle just go direct to Google Mail. 

xray
Hero

@slutboy143 are you asking about Shaw Internet or Shaw TV service?

I am asking about shaw cable, the TV service. I wont be moving for about 2 1/2 weeks so I guess I'll figure it out then thank you all for your quick answers.

You can have Shaw cable as they use Coax and Telus has copper (phone line) or fibre (depending on area) for internet.

But keep in mind some developers only run services from one provider. As the builder gets a kick back and is exclusive to a certain provider. 

Optik TV has better channel selection, bundles and some 4K channels as well. Look into Telus Optik TV and compare apples to apples. Think you’ll be pleasantly surprised on the offers you can get.

polecat
All-Star

@slutboy143  I think your best bet is to go to one of your future neighbours and ask what they do for tv and internet. 

polecat
All-Star

@slutboy143  Sorry read your question again. You can have telus internet as you say over the phone line  ---------------- Shaw cable can  (i think ) can give you tv and internet over the coax cables. I don't think telus can give you optic tv you would have to contact them.

ShawSpy
Organizer

I have both Shaw Cable and Telus Fibre Optic internet in my house. They work fine together. Shaw uses the coax connection box and telus uses their box on the side of my house and I have no issue getting service from each. Shaw tv is far superior to optik tv because almost everyones home has a ton of coaxial connections everywhere. Shaw tv has no lag, internet or wifi dependency and works flawlessly.

@ShawSpy you said "Shaw tv is far superior to optik tv because almost everyones home has a ton of coaxial connections everywhere"

I have 8 RJ45 jacks and WiFi throughout but only 3 coax outlets in my house. By your logic Optik would be far superior to Shaw in my house on that basis.

If you have RJ45 wall outlets everywhere in the house and can hardwire plug in all your optik tv boxes, then I would say your tv service quality will be equal to Shaw. I find shaw's picture quality to be better and less compressed. I find Shaw cable PVR audio to be far superior also, especially on recorded programming. My Telus Technicolor PVR with recorded programs lose audio loudness and have to really crank the volume when watching the recorded programs. I think telus has shaw beat on internet, but Shaw remains the better choice for cable tv.

It turns out that the place already has shaw internet and cable installed. So all I have to do is transfer ownership to my name and change the tv packages around a little.

Make the last owner cancel the service, this way they foot the bill for cancellation. This move will make you a free agent and allow you to sign up for new customer promotions from either Shaw and Telus as long as you are willing to commit for 2 years on a contract. Otherwise Shaw is gonna treat you like an existing customer and make you work with existing rates, no promo's....and you lose the option to switch to a Telus EPP until the contract you assume is either complete or bought out.

husher5142
Friendly Neighbour

It depends on the buildings infrastructure. If there is only fibre and/or copper then you would be restricted to an ISP that can run service over that medium. It's worth noting that some owners have signed contracts that allow for only TELUS or SHAW .. etc to run in a building. Since the owners own the building this would be or should be part of the lease agreement. If there are no such agreements and there is cable then you can have both service providers into the same unit. They will not conflict with each other. Note that any change to outlets should be approved by your landlord. The same goes for multiple ILS (in line of service) if you have multiple copper lines into a single residence you could have multiple lines of service, or multiple ISPs over copper/fibre. While I do not believe a landlord can tell you what provider to use, they can enforce what you can change structurally which can amount to the same thing. I encourage you to check your lease agreement and talk to the landlord or property manager.