cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Telus supply a SFP mini-gbic to avoid using the ONT?

curiousjoe
Just Moved In

Basically our house, only 3 years old has no fibre internally. It does have a cat5e run to the telus panel where purefibre was run to.

Our network patch panel is up on the second floor in the laundry room. No neat way to run the fibre.

The telus wiring box sits on the outside of an external enclosure outside of my house. Its hollow but there is no power in there.

I purchased a Trendnet POE+ Ethernet to SFP converter (TFC-PGSFP). and mounted it near the telus box inside the external enclosure.

I powered it by plugging in a POE+ injector onto that cat5e run and that part works great. So i basically now have a SFP port within 2 feet of the Telus fibre.

The hard part is how to request from Telus if they can supply a SFP mini-GBIC module compatible with their fibre.

I read in a forum from 2018 july that another customer got one from a Telus tech and he was able to plug the fibre into the SFP port on his network switch and skip the ONT.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32052910-BC-Telus-Purefibre-experience-Overall-Extremely-Happy-SFP...

I brought this up with the tech assigned to install the connection but he was not aware of doing anything other than the ONT install and did not know of SFP modules.

Anyone else had success with this idea? 

There is no power for an ONT in the external column but this POE ethernet to SFP would hopefully do the trick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Upcraft
Ambassador

The installers have them.  They may not have one on hand, but they have them for sure.  You cannot swap it yourself.  The serial number of the ONT or SFP module must be registered internally to decrypt the data for your specific account, they cannot be bought aftermarket.

You cannot use it with phone service which requires the ONT for phone service.

Not available in areas that use Huawei network to my knowledge.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Upcraft
Ambassador

The installers have them.  They may not have one on hand, but they have them for sure.  You cannot swap it yourself.  The serial number of the ONT or SFP module must be registered internally to decrypt the data for your specific account, they cannot be bought aftermarket.

You cannot use it with phone service which requires the ONT for phone service.

Not available in areas that use Huawei network to my knowledge.