cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge mode vs using a switch for 3rd party router

canuck123
Organizer
What are the advantages/disadvantages for both methods? Which would provide faster speeds?

Method 1:
ONT >>> 5 Port switch
From the 5 port switch:
Port 1 >>> T3200M >>> Telus Optik TV Boxes x 3
Port 2 >>> My Own Router >>> All devices on my network

Method 2:
Bridging port 1 on T3200M and using 3rd party router on there with all network to the 3rd party router and leaving optik boxes on T3200M.

Basically I was wondering why/how using a gigabit switch is more optimal to using the T3200M in bridge mode from the fibre ONT.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There should be little speed difference, but here are a few things to remember:

• your routers will each draw their own IP address from Telus DHCP, meaning your TV will not be connected to the same local network as the rest of your devices
  • gigabit speeds are more about serving multiple users with a satisfactory speed quality than one user with outstanding speed - most servers delivering content can’t meet gigabit speeds to the network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There should be little speed difference, but here are a few things to remember:

• your routers will each draw their own IP address from Telus DHCP, meaning your TV will not be connected to the same local network as the rest of your devices
  • gigabit speeds are more about serving multiple users with a satisfactory speed quality than one user with outstanding speed - most servers delivering content can’t meet gigabit speeds to the network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Also, if the Optik boxes are not on the same network as your other devices you won't be able to use the TELUS Home Assistant functions.