cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost WiFi Interferes with Optik TV

rajanjohal
Organizer

I recently added 3 Boost WiFi units to my network.  Up until then I was using WiFi from a T3200M and WEB6000Q.

Configuration is:

1) Nokia ONT  --> T3200M

2) T3200M has some computers connected to it via a switch;

3) T3200M outputs coaxial, which Telus split outside into two coxial to provide ethernet via MOCA to two Optik boxes (one PVR and one 4K box).  I've added switches to connect TVs, PS4, etc in addition to the Optik boxes.

The setup has been working without problem for a couple years, but I wanted better WiFi coverage and to eliminate having two SSIDs (because of the WEB6000Q).  The WEB6000Q was connected to the switch that also had the PVR connected.

I removed the WEB6000Q and added the 3 Boost WiFi units via ethernet at the T3200M, and each of the switches.

With this new setup, the Optik service at the PVR and 4K loses signal and freezes momentarily.  I was able to track this down to happening when laptops reconnect to the WiFi from waking from sleep.  I'm not sure if it also happens when other devices such as phones reconnect.

I've tried rebooting the T3200M, the Boost WiFi units, and the Optik boxes - with the problem persisting.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Boost units do not provide the multicast signal needed for Optik. You will either need to hardwire the Optik boxes, or return to the previous setup of multiple SSID using the WEB6000Q or the T3200M to provide Wi-Fi for Optik.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Boost units do not provide the multicast signal needed for Optik. You will either need to hardwire the Optik boxes, or return to the previous setup of multiple SSID using the WEB6000Q or the T3200M to provide Wi-Fi for Optik.

NFtoBC

I'm not using the Optik boxes via the Boost Wi-Fi.

The Optik boxes and Boost Wi-Fi are ethernet connected to a switch which is connected to a MOCA which is connected to the T3200M modem.

Are you saying that the Boost units and Optik boxes can't be hardwired in this manner?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the Optik boxes are connected by Ethernet or coax then they should work without problem.

I can’t offer further suggestions as to the Wi-Fi connections causing TV interruptions, but agree it is weird.

NFtoBC