cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic email question

Janann
Advisor

Windows Live Mail was installed years back during a computer upgrade. It's functioning fine, but when thinking of getting a second email account, I remembered that Telus offered free webmail long ago. I read Telus' info regarding the differences between telus dot net vs. telus webmail, but honestly don't understand the distinctions being made. My main concern is: would Telus webmail be totally separate from my Windows Live Mail? I don't want to mess up WLM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PCherian
Helpful Neighbour

@Janann

There's nothing wrong with using Windows Live Mail, it works perfectly for those who are using it and will work as long as POP3 & IMAP protocols are supported by email providers like Google or Microsoft or any others.

In case you're wondering how to setup the new Telus.net email (by gmail) in Windows Live Mail 2012, here is the procedure for setting up telus email using "IMAP" protocol.

-----------------------------------------

**Login to Gmail web inferface (mail.google.com/a/telus.net )

** Enable "IMAP" in Gmail settings (webmail interface). Once logged in you can enable IMAP from this link: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop

** Enable "Access for less secure apps" in gmail account, under Security (https://hotter.io/docs/email-accounts/secure-app-gmail)

------------------------------------------

Windows Live Mail Setup:

1. Open the "Accounts" tab ( last tab on the top where you could see "Home", "Folders" and "View").

2. Click on the "Email" option

3. Fill out the forms. "Email address" is "telus.net" email, "Password" is your new telus.net email password, "Display Name" would be your name (or you can leave the field alone) and you can select this email account as your default account if needed.

4. Select "remember this password" if needed. You can un-tick the option for privacy reasons, it will ask for password each time you open Windows Live Mail.

5. Now, before clicking next, select "Manually configure server settings", now click next.

06. "Server Type" is "IMAP" not POP (drop down menu). "Server address" would be "imap.gmail.com" without quotes and select " Requires a secure connection (SSL). The "Port" should change to "993", if not change it.

07. Leave "Authenticate using" as "Clear text".

08. Now, "Logon user name" is your full telus.net email address, not the first part before "@"

09. Under "Outgoing server information", "server address" is "smtp.gmail.com" again without quotes, change "Port" to 587, Select both "Requires a secure connection" and "Requires authentication".

10. Click "Next" and Finish. That's all.

Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [like] or [Accepted Solution].

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, Telus mail would be an entirely different mail account, and will not affect your current email service.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

rc
Rockstar

Your TELUS internet account subscription should allow multiple email addresses. If you want another email address you  could get a gmail address.

Windows live mail can support multiple email addresses, however, it is no longer supported by Microsoft.  You may want to look at replacing windows live mail with another program, such as Thunderbird email, or the email program that comes with windows  10.

Thank you, rc. I do have a gmail address, but when we had a modem replaced, gmail didn't allow me access. The only option to verify was a code sent to me by text. No cellphone - I have a landline. Then I got an email option, but entering the code resulted in a statement that they couldn't verify that this belonged to me, end of story. 

I tried hotmail and yahoo, seems a cellphone is required. That is when I remembered that Telus had webmail, and came here to see that our Telus email is being migrated to gmail...which is the last place I want to send my only other email! There will at least be customer service via Telus, though.

I did get a Telus webmail set up, and found out more about Windows Live Mail in the process. I have Windows 7, so likely looking at an upgrade to Windows 10 and their email before too long. Thanks for your suggestions!

PCherian
Helpful Neighbour

@Janann

There's nothing wrong with using Windows Live Mail, it works perfectly for those who are using it and will work as long as POP3 & IMAP protocols are supported by email providers like Google or Microsoft or any others.

In case you're wondering how to setup the new Telus.net email (by gmail) in Windows Live Mail 2012, here is the procedure for setting up telus email using "IMAP" protocol.

-----------------------------------------

**Login to Gmail web inferface (mail.google.com/a/telus.net )

** Enable "IMAP" in Gmail settings (webmail interface). Once logged in you can enable IMAP from this link: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop

** Enable "Access for less secure apps" in gmail account, under Security (https://hotter.io/docs/email-accounts/secure-app-gmail)

------------------------------------------

Windows Live Mail Setup:

1. Open the "Accounts" tab ( last tab on the top where you could see "Home", "Folders" and "View").

2. Click on the "Email" option

3. Fill out the forms. "Email address" is "telus.net" email, "Password" is your new telus.net email password, "Display Name" would be your name (or you can leave the field alone) and you can select this email account as your default account if needed.

4. Select "remember this password" if needed. You can un-tick the option for privacy reasons, it will ask for password each time you open Windows Live Mail.

5. Now, before clicking next, select "Manually configure server settings", now click next.

06. "Server Type" is "IMAP" not POP (drop down menu). "Server address" would be "imap.gmail.com" without quotes and select " Requires a secure connection (SSL). The "Port" should change to "993", if not change it.

07. Leave "Authenticate using" as "Clear text".

08. Now, "Logon user name" is your full telus.net email address, not the first part before "@"

09. Under "Outgoing server information", "server address" is "smtp.gmail.com" again without quotes, change "Port" to 587, Select both "Requires a secure connection" and "Requires authentication".

10. Click "Next" and Finish. That's all.

Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [like] or [Accepted Solution].

PCherian, thank you so much! I find this kind of work terrifying, because of mistakes I've made in the past. I feel more a lot more confident because of the amount of detail you give. It's so helpful having it broken down into understandable steps - description and location of things helps a lot!

I don't have my migration date yet, but now I'm prepared to try it. If I get stuck, then I can call a tech during off-peak hours. Without your instructions, I would've just called and waited to get walked through it. Thanks again for your very comprehensive and clear instructions, I really appreciate your help!

PCherian
Helpful Neighbour

deleted..added steps to previous post.

PCherian
Helpful Neighbour

deleted..added steps to previous post.