cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Telus Boost extenders capped?

Esto
Organizer

I recently upgraded my internet plan from 300 to 750Mbps. I use a starter Telus Boost pack. I'm unable to have both access points wired to the modem (T3200M), so I have one sitting next to the modem (wired) and the second one in the bedroom where I have poor connection. Even before the upgrade a computer connected to the AP in the bedroom could reach pretty close to 300 up and down. 

So, when I upgraded internet I was expecting to see an increase on that speed, but that's not the case. Is there a configuration I need to go thru to improve the Telus Boos max speed?

A few days ago I contacted Telus support because I wasn't seeing the increase of speed anywhere in my apartment, not even next to the modem. In the end, the tech made some changes and asked me to connect my computer (Macbook Pro, cannot use Ethernet, only WIFI) directly to the 5G wireless network instead of the generic one created by the original tech that installed it. And sure enough, when I work from my MBP I now get speeds close to 700Mbps. I was happy with that because it proved I was getting the speeds I paid for, but that means I can no longer go work from that bedroom because the signal is so bad. Before this change I believe my MBP was moving from access point to AP depending on where I was standing. Same for my phone (Android). And the speed was reliably good anywhere.

I don't fully understand what's going on, but I suspect what this last tech did was for me to connect directly to the T3200M wireless network whereas before I was connected to the Telus Boost mesh (although they share the same name). And when I'm connected back to the generic WIFI name I'm back at max 400Mbps next to the modem and 300 in the bedroom. When connected to the T3200M I get 700 next to the model and not even 20Mbps when in the bedroom (the reason why I got the Telus Boost in the first place)

Are these Telus Boost access points really capped? I can't find the reference, but I'm sure I saw it said they supported 1Gb networks. So what's the deal? I'm seriously considering downgrading to 300Mbps plan again if I can't take advantage of this (again, I cannot put a wire to the bedroom).

I hope my question is clear. Any ideas? Thank you in advance

Esto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't believe there are caps on the boost devices. It sounds to me that the issue is related to your second boost that is not wired.

Wi-fi connected devices are supposed to switch to the 'best' signal while moving around but I've found on more than a few occasions our iPhones don't always do this. Often toggling wi-fi off and on on the device remedies this issue.

You may also wish to look at this to see if there is anything you can do to improve things:

Troubleshoot your Boost Wi-Fi | TELUS Support

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't believe there are caps on the boost devices. It sounds to me that the issue is related to your second boost that is not wired.

Wi-fi connected devices are supposed to switch to the 'best' signal while moving around but I've found on more than a few occasions our iPhones don't always do this. Often toggling wi-fi off and on on the device remedies this issue.

You may also wish to look at this to see if there is anything you can do to improve things:

Troubleshoot your Boost Wi-Fi | TELUS Support

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge the Boost devices are not capable of 1GB speeds, and the second will be slower than the first, because all traffic from the second must pass through the first. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"