cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else get a trial for Online Security added without consent?

mrhector
Organizer

So looks like Telus is pulling some negative billing adding an Online Security trial to peoples accounts. It was added to my service agreement back in December and I never received notification of the change like I normally do when changes are made to the account. 

I had to speak to someone via Chat to get it removed, they insisted it was just a free trial but did confirm that when the trial period ends I would not be removed and I would have been charged the $10 a month fee. Friend on Telus internet had the same thing. 

7 REPLIES 7

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I haven't encountered this. Did you make changes in November/December that might have triggered this being added?

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

mrhector
Organizer

Nope, no changes. On a two year term that's set to end in Oct this year. Looks like they just added it on to people's accounts. Friend on Telus fibre had the same thing added to his account. Was told same thing, it was just a trial added on. 

People on reddit started noticing same thing. 

Telus Erroneously Charging $10 for Online Security Plan, Say Some Customers [Update] | iPhone in Can...

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I noticed in the Telus My Wi-Fi app that there is a new setting under Network>Network security>Manage. This appears to enable this feature and has a note that says Free Until June 30, 2022.

Possibly it was enabled here?

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Dug through old Telus marketing emails and looks like I got an email on Dec 2nd offering a free trial. On the 7th got another saying I was selected to take part in a 3 month free trial saying I'll get a PIN that's required to setup my trial account before Dec 31, 2021. Then on Dec 9 got the email with PIN asking me to complete setup of the account. However on my bill Dec 9th, the service was added with a free trial discount until May 8th. Looking at the bill and confirming with the rep I spoke to yesterday once the trial discount ended I would have started being charged. 

I just filter all the marketing emails to a spam folder so I never saw these and definitely didn't complete setup for the account or the trial. Was added intentionally by Telus without my confirmation. Also called in to speak with a rep to confirm and all they see on my account is the emails sent out, no other interactions from me. Disappointed with the predatory business practices. 

easygoing
Organizer

To be safe, just login to your account, on the "online security" that is added to your account, click on "manage". From there select "cancel" and follow the instructions.

mrhector
Organizer

This is almost comical now. A day after I got the service removed and the rep told me he would put me on a list to so I wouldn't get marketing offers. I get this email and text. Oh and also I noticed my current balance is about $10 more then last month. The actual bill isn't posted yet so really curious to see what they added on to my bill last month. 

telus1.pngtelus2.jpg

mrhector
Organizer

Update: So after cancelling the service I never requested what was supposedly free until May. I now see a charge of $10 on my bill for Online Security for the next month under the heading of "cancelled services"?? Now I gotta call again to get this fixed. 

mrhector_0-1644466585556.png