cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a router

frodobaggins
Just Moved In

Hey,

I need help adding a router to my modem. I need a VPN-enabled router so I got an Asus router that supports Open VPN.

I have tried using bridge mode although I get no connection to my router when enabled. Why is this? What should the connection type be on the router and am I missing a configuration step? This page has all the WAN setups that Asus supports. [WAN] How to set up an Internet Connection? | Official Support | ASUS Global

I have also tried turning off bridge mode and can get full traffic and service from LAN 1, however, this does not help me as I need a public IP address for the VPN server.

Any help would be truly appreciated. I can also provide more details if need be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frodobaggins
Just Moved In

Bridge mode did work this time but some changes to WAN had to be done. For anyone else struggling with this, I found that there is a username that you need to enter. You can find this under Advanced Settings-> WAN IP Adress page.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 163915.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jweea
Neighbour

What are the models of your modem and router?

If you have a separate TELUS ONT and a separate TELUS modem, simply throw their modem away and use your own ASUS router. See Modems explained | TELUS Support

If it is a TELUS all-in-one device (e.g. T3200M), enable bridge mode on it and connect its LAN1 to WAN on your ASUS router.

Make sure you set the bridge mode on TELUS device, not your ASUS router. Usually it is DHCP and nothing need be set on ASUS router. It could be Static IP and MAC bonded(very unlikey). Better to ask the Telus Techinical who installed everything.

loyalClient
Coach

Hi frodobaggins,

Have you tried to choose LAN1 on your router to set it as bridge mode? Then connect port 1 on your router to WAN port on your Asus router. 

Good luck!

frodobaggins
Just Moved In

Bridge mode did work this time but some changes to WAN had to be done. For anyone else struggling with this, I found that there is a username that you need to enter. You can find this under Advanced Settings-> WAN IP Adress page.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 163915.png