cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Payphones

Wingsky75
Neighbour
I just wonder why all Telus Public Payphones are removed. It’s only my 3rd months of having lunch at Lonsdale Quay since i got a private home support client in the area.
I noticed, heard and sometimes personally asked if there is a public payphone in the area. I always instructed them to the public washroom area there is one. Now it is removed. I have no idea why? All i know public payhone at Lonsdale Quay is extremely important. I know most people now a days are using cellular phone but there are lots of instances we need a public payphone still specially at the Quay. To name a few
1) Visitors from cruise-ships don’t have roaming data but wanna call a friends or relatives.
2) Visitors cellular phones out of battery
3) Visitors forgot to bring their cellphones
4) Locals cellphone died
5) Locals lost a cellphone, needs to call someone supposedly having to meet in the area.
6) Visitors or Locals lost a shoulder bag needs to call their bank to cancel or out their ATM’s on hold right away before it is fraudulently used.
7) Locals consumed their data allowance 100% can’t use their cellphone now, while gonna meet someone in the area.
😎 Locals needs to call any government agencies it takes an hour or two on hold before you being answered…don’t wanna use our data and don’t wanna drain our battery while outside.
A lots more reasons we stillbneed public payphones now a days. Hope it will be back even just for our visitors.
Be blessed everyone
SHALAWA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Additionally since covid hit, most people don't even carry change anymore, payphones don't support tap to pay, and since payphones are rarely if ever sanitized, who knows what's on them.

A guy in Vancouver created a map of payphones. He hasn't been to Lonsdale Quay recently so that one still shows on the map. Some of them were updated more recently.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The revenue a payphone generates is almost NIL and the cost to maintain them outweighs keeping them. Some payphones have generated less than $5 for the entire year. The shift has gone to almost everyone carrying a cellphone these days, and plenty of WiFi hot spots. Over time there will be less and less public pay phones, as the culture shift away from them.

Like renting Beta, VHS, Laser disc and blu ray, everything shifts away sooner or later.

I do understand your point of view on how public payphones is vanishing now a days Sir. I’m very thankful that commented for the public to get the idea why payphones is vanishing. Unfortunately, it doesn’t address my concern specifically at Lonsdale Quay. At least 1 public payphone booth at that Quay not only for the purpose of generating income because our lives in this world did not rely on income or money alone. It also involved helping and serving others for a better world to live in.
Once again just 1 payphone to address those unexpected circumstances both visitors and locals experienced at the Quay where they need an immediate access of phones.
Be blessed everyone
SHALAWA

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Additionally since covid hit, most people don't even carry change anymore, payphones don't support tap to pay, and since payphones are rarely if ever sanitized, who knows what's on them.

A guy in Vancouver created a map of payphones. He hasn't been to Lonsdale Quay recently so that one still shows on the map. Some of them were updated more recently.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Got the Public Payphones Map in North Vancouver. I will print it out and posted where the telus payphone has been removed for those being told that there is one in that area will have an alternative right away without asking anyone again.
Once again thank you so much.