cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart lock connectivity

Fractallicious
Neighbour
I live in an apartment building that has installed a security system involving smart locks activated by buzzer codes that ring tenant mobile phones. When someone buzzes my code, I do receive these calls, but the person waiting at the door does not hear me, nor can I buzz him in.

I’ve spent the better part of the day today troubleshooting with both TELUS and Apple and both companies confirm that my phone seems to be working just fine and that the problem I am encountering is likely attributable to a problem in the building’s security system.

I don’t experience any other missed or dropped calls or connectivity issues that I’m aware of. I have a brand new iPhone 15 Pro, and I am usually within 6 feet of my Wi-Fi router with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled when these buzzer calls come through. My cellular signal tends to be weak (1-bar) in this building but I have no other problems with failed calls.

I have missed multiple deliveries because of this and I really welcome any feedback about possible causes. I am wondering if anyone else has run into this and if you have found the problem lay with your phone or with the security system.
1 REPLY 1

C_Fun
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are a few potential causes and solutions:

• Security System Configuration: It’s possible that the security system is not properly configured to handle calls to mobile phones. You might want to check with the building management or the security system provider to ensure all settings are correct.
  • Network Compatibility: Weak cellular signal (1-bar) might be affecting the quality of the buzzer calls. Since your iPhone is brand new and works fine otherwise, consider using Wi-Fi calling if it's not already enabled. This can sometimes improve call quality in areas with weak cellular signals.
  • Bluetooth Interference: Although it’s less likely, Bluetooth devices in close proximity to your phone could cause interference. Try turning off Bluetooth temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
  • VoIP Interference: The security system might use VoIP technology which can sometimes have compatibility issues with certain phone settings or networks. Again, this would be something to discuss with your building's management or the security system provider.
  • Alternate Contacts: For deliveries, you might want to provide an alternate contact method or set up delivery instructions that don't rely on the buzzer system.

I would suggest having the building management coordinate with the security system provider to troubleshoot this issue further. It might be useful to test the system with another phone or network to see if the problem persists.