cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qolsys IQ 4 Remote Panel (Wireless)

enb54
Coach

I am trying to replicate our previous DSC wired alarm system functionality and have purchased a used Qolsys QW9104-840 Remote Control Panel which allegedly can be paired to my new IQ 4 Master panel. This master panel is inconveniently located halfway between my two existing DSC wired control panels (one at each main entry door) so I want to mount this one at the back door and use my existing wiring to supply it with power (7VDC @ 1 amp). If succesful, I'll get another one to mount at the front door, I did look at getting DSC wireless keypads but it seemed to be a more complex solution. So, my question is has anyone else done this and do you have any hints/help as TELUS does not seem too enthusiastic about me doing this myself? Thanks in advance for your help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got my 9104-840 Remote and spent about 4 hours with it, here's what I found out.

After correctly connecting power and following the instructions for IQ Panel 2 connecting you’ll likely find that your remote won’t connect to the IQ Panel 4, so here’s what I did to resolve the issue. You will need to access “Installer” mode...

• In the WIFI “Advanced” menu turn off “Band Steering” after you enter your WIFI credentials and set WIFI to 2.4 GHz only.
  • After you select the “IQ Remote Devices” select “TEST” menu button on the IQ Panel 4, then select “TEST” menu button on the IQ 2 Remote.
  • After “TEST” has run the devices are ready to “PAIR” so select “PAIR” on the IQ Panel 4 and then select “PAIR” on the IQ 2 Remote.
  • They will start to synchronize and the IQ 2 Remote will start to download a patch to bring it up to the latest software (v 4.3 in my case) issue.
  • It will take some time (about 15 minutes in my case) but the IQ 2 Remote will finally power off and then back on again, and when it stops rebooting, it will be connected (paired) with the IQ Panel 4
  • You can the change the name(s) for your remote(s) using the IQ Panel 4 in “Installer” mode. I used "Back Door" for this one and ordered another for the front door

20230909_143555.jpg

Picture taken on my doormat. Now I just have to send the 7.5 VDC to power the remotes over those old wired connections from my mechanical room, as I don't have any AC outlets on the same wall as the remotes will be mounted. Hope someone else finds this useful and saves you some money...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You will be in uncharted territory as a home owner, as there isn't much documentation you will have access to. Or making it work together. 

I don't think the documentation will be a problem as the protocols seem to be the same as the DSC keypads that Qolsys recommends, it's just that TELUS does not seem to train most of their employees in the basics anymore, just on their own specific equipment offerings. That means that anything TELUS does not offer is not endorsed or supported, which is too bad for us consumers, but we'll see what happens when I get the equipment in a week or so. I just might wind up wasting my money and crying the blues...

Well I got the DSC panel off and it is a HS2LCDRF9 (photo attached) which means that it is RF enabled and coulds been able to talk to the IQ4 panel... maybe... perhaps20230908_154039[1].jpg

I got my 9104-840 Remote and spent about 4 hours with it, here's what I found out.

After correctly connecting power and following the instructions for IQ Panel 2 connecting you’ll likely find that your remote won’t connect to the IQ Panel 4, so here’s what I did to resolve the issue. You will need to access “Installer” mode...

• In the WIFI “Advanced” menu turn off “Band Steering” after you enter your WIFI credentials and set WIFI to 2.4 GHz only.
  • After you select the “IQ Remote Devices” select “TEST” menu button on the IQ Panel 4, then select “TEST” menu button on the IQ 2 Remote.
  • After “TEST” has run the devices are ready to “PAIR” so select “PAIR” on the IQ Panel 4 and then select “PAIR” on the IQ 2 Remote.
  • They will start to synchronize and the IQ 2 Remote will start to download a patch to bring it up to the latest software (v 4.3 in my case) issue.
  • It will take some time (about 15 minutes in my case) but the IQ 2 Remote will finally power off and then back on again, and when it stops rebooting, it will be connected (paired) with the IQ Panel 4
  • You can the change the name(s) for your remote(s) using the IQ Panel 4 in “Installer” mode. I used "Back Door" for this one and ordered another for the front door

20230909_143555.jpg

Picture taken on my doormat. Now I just have to send the 7.5 VDC to power the remotes over those old wired connections from my mechanical room, as I don't have any AC outlets on the same wall as the remotes will be mounted. Hope someone else finds this useful and saves you some money...

Sorry all, IQ 2 Remote was software upgraded to 4.2, not 4.3...