cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus TV+ app shows error

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

For several weeks now, I've been having problems with the Telus TV+ app displaying video for a few seconds after it starts but then it shows the error "Sorry an error has occurred. Please try again. ERR_PLAYER_P006". Restarting the TV and/or Chromecast with Google TV box doesn't fix the problem. I've even tried different CCWGTV boxes and they all have this same problem. All other video streaming apps work fine.

Telus even sent me the new TV Digital Box and I suspect it has the same problem but it manifests itself in a different way. When I turn on the TV and box, there's no video signal coming through the HDMI cable even though the box is on and the TV is on the correct input. If I unplug and replug the HDMI cable, the video starts working properly.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

10 REPLIES 10

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

This problem is still happening but I have more info on it.

It appears to be TV-specific. I have three TVs with the same type of CCWGTV boxes attached to them but only the one TV has an issue. I can move boxes between TVs and the problem always comes up on the same TV while the other TVs have no problem.

The "problem TV" (it's actually a Telus TV+ problem, not a TV problem since all the other apps work fine on that TV) is a small 19" kitchen TV that only has a 720p native resolution. Why does this cause a problem with Telus TV+?

Which channel were you watching?
Btw, the free news programs on Global TV app doesn’t have the same picture quality as the paid feeds. They are slightly better than the samples I get from the 720P live stream events on their yt channel, but fall short of any 1080P clips on yt or feeds on paid live TV services.

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

I usually watch Global National in whichever timezone is most convenient. It's usually either Toronto, Regina, Calgary or Vancouver. I'll have to check it out on youtube.

It should airs at 7pm pacific time. The pic quality look decent but only has CC auto generated by YouTube.

The error might because the TV doesn’t support 1080i/P, but that’s the channel’s pic format. Have you tried 720P channels like CBC, ABC, Fox and stuff?

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

One correction... the TV is 1440x900 but it can only display 720p, not 1080p.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @ToddK, Can you try the following troubleshooting steps (not sequential)?

1. Can you navigate away from the channel where you are seeing the error and navigate back? Do you see playback? 
  2. Can the error be dismissed? 
  3. Try rebooting the CCwGTV box
  4. Try and force close the TTV+ on the CCwGTV box

If none of the above works, can you let us know what the TV model is? We will see if we can investigate further. We try to test as many different makes/models as possible, but it's impossible to catch them all.

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

1. Navigate away: this sometimes displays video for a few seconds but then it comes up with the same error

2. Dismiss: The error can't be dismissed

3. Rebooting: Seems to fix the problem for a few hours before the error reappears

4. Force close: Same error appears as soon as the app is restarted

On the "problem" TV, I'm almost always watching time-shifted news on the GlobalTV app and start the TelusTV+ after Global News is finished so there's a chance that TelusTV+ doesn't like some setting from the GlobalTV app. I'll have to try watching the news on a different TV and see if that causes the TelusTV+ problem on it. 

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

I did more testing today and I can confirm the use of the Global App doesn't affect the Telus TV+ app on my other TVs. And on the "problem TV', I received the same ERR_PLAYER_P006 error even when I hadn't started the Global TV app beforehand.

This suggests the problem is some kind of incompatibility between the Telus TV+ app and my TV, which is odd since other apps don't have a problem.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @ToddK , appreciate the further troubleshooting. What is the Brand/Model of your TV? 

ToddK
Friendly Neighbour

Hi @Optik-Kate , the TV is an Auria EQ1988.