cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incomplete PVR recording

Iain
Friendly Neighbour

Not happy!

I follow formula 1 racing and frequently record races that occur at early dawn hours.  Several times this summer and fall I have replayed the recorded race only to find it has not recorded the scheduled race, but rather has captured the final 20 - 30 minutes of the program and 90+ minutes of the following programming. Going back on the guide and playing the race as "start over" plays the program as shown on the guide. Why the late start to the recording and lost program? We have absolutely no issues with recording other programs. Is this a PVR issue, as the normal time period seems to cover the program inclusive when it was broadcast? Is it some error in the program guide? If it was a problem with the broadcaster (TSN) there should be a problem with "start over", would it not? I actually set the PVR to record the programs ahead of and after a race and still came up with a recording outside the guide time periods for the program. I have to decide whether to give up on my favourite programming, or dumping Telus and going back to Shaw satellite service which never gave me any grief before going to Telus Optik.

5 REPLIES 5

xray
Hero

When you look at the start time and end time of the recorded program does it match the scheduled times in the guide?

Iain
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for responding. The program guide shows the race running from 11:55am - 2:00pm. The recording shows the date and start time of 12:55pm and covers the 2 hours scheduled race time plus the extra 30 minutes I always add to allow for late starts, stoppages, etc. which took the recording well into the programming following the race. The only other info on the recording is the duration, showing the normal 2:30 length. Fortunately, I can go back and restart the race on the program guide, but that is only valid for a day after the program before the guide updates. Why only the one program, something to do with 'Sky programming'? My wife PVRs all her favourite shows without issue and lots of space available on the PVR.
Cheers,
Iain

xray
Hero

Looks like it the recording was set to start an hour later than what the guide currently shows. I wonder if the guide was updated after you set the recording. Do you recall when you set the recording?

Iain
Friendly Neighbour
I have been using the 'series record' for quite a while, but with this problem I now manually set the recording, typically on a Thursday to record 3 items - Friday practice, Saturday qualifying and Sunday race. I have not experienced any problems with the preceding program items, just the Sunday races. The gap in the captured race can vary from only 5 - 10 minutes, to one race when I started the playback to see the winners on the podium, almost literally the end of the show. The failed recordings are not consistent, I can enjoy several races in a row without issue, then two or more in a row that are abbreviated. What galls me is that it seems to only effect the one programming event that I really enjoy watching. Recently I thought the PVR had done it again, but it was due to a rain delay that the recording did not capture the race as set in the program guide. I followed a thread concerning lost PVR recordings and the suggestion to have the unit replaced, but thought there might be an answer out there before going that route. I have performed a number of prescribed reset/reboot procedures, but they do not seem to have any effect on this problem.
Iain

Iain
Friendly Neighbour

OK, last straw. This past weekend I tried to capture the Formula 1 race in Mexico. I manually programmed the PVR to record all forms of the race over 3 days. Everything worked as desired EXCEPT the actual race. The recording was 60 minutes of the preceding program and 1.5 hrs of the actual race which cut off the last 60 minutes of the race. What I ended up with was 2 copies of the pre-race and an abbreviated race.  So, I surmise that there is something to do with "Sky racing", the broadcaster in Europe that covers these events. I don't understand how this is only an issue with the race, but as they sell subscriptions to the programming, it may be intentional to force you to buy in. I have options, I can either watch the race at the scheduled time, or set up the old DVD recorder to capture the show, if the power doesn't go out and crash the machine timer.  I am done with PVR, let the wife use it as it does not fail for her programming. Shame.

Final word, I greatly appreciate the assistance offered by the Neighbourhood, but with three issues that I have placed, none have actually been successfully resolved.   Iain