cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to new TELUS TV+ app on iOS and iPadOS

LindaT
Just Moved In

I've downloaded the new TELUS TV+ app but have been unable to successfully login. When I try to, I receive the following message: "Login failed. The app can't connect to the server. Check your Internet connection and try again."

Occasionally I notice that the login form briefly displays email and password fields but they are almost instantaneously hidden leaving only the Log in button. If I do manage to tap the email field before it disappears, I can fill it in but the login still fails.

We've called Customer Support several times over the past few weeks and are struggling to even get them to verify the issue (they seem to lack access to an iPhone or iPad for testing purposes).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which version of iOS / iPadOS are you using? Which iPhone model is it?

Have you tried:

• going into Settings (main settings on iOS/iPadOS)
  • Scroll down and tap on TV Provider.
  • Does it give you the option to Sign Out? If yes, sign out and then go back to log in to TV+ again.

I have an iPhone 13 and I am able to log in to the TV+ app without experiencing the same issue.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which version of iOS / iPadOS are you using? Which iPhone model is it?

Have you tried:

• going into Settings (main settings on iOS/iPadOS)
  • Scroll down and tap on TV Provider.
  • Does it give you the option to Sign Out? If yes, sign out and then go back to log in to TV+ again.

I have an iPhone 13 and I am able to log in to the TV+ app without experiencing the same issue.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Your suggestion to Sign Out of the TELUS TV+ app via the iOS TV Provider setting resolved my issue. I was unaware of this setting.

Signing out allowed me to sign in with the correct account. When I first installed the TELUS TV+ app, I signed in with the wrong account. Even when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, I was unable to enter the correct account credentials.

Thanks VERY much for taking the time to promptly answer my question with clear and detailed instructions.

Didn’t work for me. Same loop of app asking me to login interminably and still not recognize me - though it seems to recognize most of my channels. It’s broken, non-functioning, pain in the behind. I was on phone for two hours plus last night, spoke to 5 tech support people. Nobody seems to be informed about the issue. 

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @bijoo:

Did you try the steps outlined above? Sometimes the root cause is a connection error with Apple's zero-sign on protocol, or that an incorrect password has been cached.

robba1
Friendly Neighbour

Yep, same issues as you're experiencing. When the new app, TelusTv+, was introduced, I simply replied to prompts to sign in with Telus provider - no password or username required. Now for some reason the login procedure has changed and when I enter my Telus username and password the page keeps refreshing and asking for the  username and password again - it's groundhog day.  How in the heck does Telus always manage to make their service worse than it was before they introduced a new app that was supposed to improve their service? There's Telus manager somewhere who's sending out emails to employees directing them to play games with customers.

Same issue for me. Signing out and back in also does nothing to correct the issue

I have an iPhone 12. Couldn’t log in. I tried the suggested Setting/TV Provider trick and now that won’t accept my credentials either. I finally called Telus and they said there is a known issue with the Optik Plus app and iOS systems.
Guess it’s being worked on.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Bigmom

Do your My TELUS credentials let you log in to telus.com/mytelus? If no, then it's a username/password problem. If yes, are you able to log in to telustvplus.com? If no, then it's an account synchronization problem that needs contact centre agent intervention (use the chat feature or contact us). If yes, then there's an issue with Apple and your My TELUS account - I'd ensure you've upgraded to the TELUS TV+ app (you mention Optik Plus) and are you running iOS 16.3.1. The first troubleshooting steps I'd normally recommend are to ensure your app and operating system are up to date. If no, then I'd attempt the steps above related to TV Provider settings and iCloud keychain.

should be ok now it seems they fixed the problem March 8th

None of these solutions work for me. My question to Telus is why aren’t they fixing their app? What do I pay them for? That’s like asking me to fix my new car cause they didn’t test a new part and it’s loose! Why do tech companies get away with this nonsense?

lp1212
Friendly Neighbour

I can't log in to Telus TV+ on either my iphone 14 or my ipad for the past 2 days.  I have tried everything suggested and still no luck.  keeps telling me to log in then I log in and again tells me I am not logged in.  Groundhog day.  Who do I call?

Peabel
Just Moved In
Same problem can’t sign in for last 2 days

robba1
Friendly Neighbour

Yep, just spoke to 5th telus rep today - I've aged 3 dog years just waiting on the phone for a Telus rep. Finally someone admitted that the TelusTv+ app is being "worked on", since yesterday (Fri) morning and they had expected it to be fixed in 24 hours - and 24 hours has come and gone - so maybe another 24 hours will do the trick - or maybe 48 hours? lol And while waiting on the phone, Telus plays their statement about being involved in world wide delivery of state of the art something or other and I thought they can't brag about state of the art local TV apps, so there's a snowballs chance in h*ll of doing anything "world wide" or state of the art for that matter.  Tempted to just cancel Telus and return to my small aerial/antennae and over the air TV broadcasts - much simpler, and actually better picture quality.

Similar story here. TelusTV+ app worked fine for a few weeks; then last week I got a sign-in dialog when I launched it, and entered my myTelus username (e-mail address) and password, but it was not accepted. Force-quit app, restarted, same thing. Restarted iPhone - still not working. Tried logging out of TELUS in iOS TV Provider settings on my iPhone as suggested above by NightHawk. Then when I tried to sign back in on the iPhone, I got "Your TV provider service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" (tried multiple times). Then tried Other TV Provider Regions .../Canada, and got a Telus Sign-In username and password dialog, but get "Sig In Error". Good grief. Meanwhile, I can log in to myTelus in Safari on all devices, and using the myTelus app with my myTelus username and password. Wasted over an hour trying to fix it on my own (including removing and reinstalling the app from the App Store multiple times), and then 90 minutes earlier today with Telus tech support. Can't log in using the iOS app on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or via Safari or Chrome to TelusTV+. Support tech tried unlinking and then re-linking our Optik TV account to myTelus and that did not fix it. He had me go through the steps with launching TelusTV+ in Safari on the Mac, and same thing on the iPad, and send him screenshots at each step. Said he will bump it up the chain and get back to me in 24-48 hours. Meanwhile, OptikTV seems to be working fine on all our TVs. Ridiculous - why can't Telus debug their apps properly before rolling them out to customers, and why is there nothing about this bug in the online help for TelusTV+ to save people all this wasted time?  I'm thinking of switching back to Shaw. 

UPDATE: I suspect there is an issue with handshaking between the iCloud Keychain and the TelusTV+ App. In my iCloud keychain (examined on a Mac laptop)  there are two "application password" items that appear to be updated when I first run the Telus TV+ app after installing it from the App Store, and also when updating the  iOS TV Provider settings on the iPhone. Both items belong to the com.apple.VideoSubscriberAccount access group. The first cannot be viewed or edited. However, the second ("TELUS") item is both displayed and editable after entering the keychain password. The contents of the password field, however, are an XML .plist that contains the quoted forms of the username and password in a long string list.  As an experiment, on the offchance that the app is writing to the password field of this keychain item incorrectly (after copying this text and saving it for restoration if needed later), I replaced the whole plist with the password in plain text, and saved it.

A minute or two later, the TelusTV+ app started working on the iPhone!  However, it still does not work in AppleTV or the iPad, even after signing out of Telus in the TV Provider + iOS settings and signing back in on these devices.

The password is written over by the XML plist on doing so, but the iPhone app continues to work.

I would have communicated this information directly to Telus technical support, but unlike most companies that provide a ticket that one can update with potentially useful information, there seems to be no way to do this with Telus (go figure!). I had also included the whole plist (with sensitive information replaced with placeholders) in this post, but got "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested" when I hit "Reply". Perhaps somebody at Telus actually monitors this board, and will pass it along, in case it is helpful. 

robba1
Friendly Neighbour

Yep, more Telus hornswoggle - boggles the mind. Spoke to Telus rep #1 this am - told TelusTv+ was up and running with update completed (I still cannot log on to the app). During phone connection with Telus the line went dead. Phoned Telus back and spoke to Telus rep #2 who said that the app was still being 'tweaked' (ie. not working). Does Telus just have too many customers and are trying to get rid of the 'overload'?

Sunds so much like my various interfaces with Telus. While waiting for support the recorded propaganda loops the constant message that Telus is doing so much to better the world and by the way wouldn’t you like to go online and do it yourself? Or speak to another A.I. agent perhaps? It can be so frustrating and so ridiculous that I am still wasting my time again after having attempted to fix the issue from a myriad of angles and still no luck which is why I asked for help in the first place. If we hadn’t spoken up they wouldn’t have even recognized a problem.

I’m waiting for a few more days before I’m starting a search for a new service provider.

Sugata
Just Moved In

I found the problem. Its a bug between the Telus TV + app and the Apple IOS TV provider app settings. 

To fix the problem, 

On your apple Phone or Tablet.

To to Settings (the grey sprockey wheel)

Scroll down to "TV Provider"

Select "TV Provider"

Log out

Turn off the button selecting Telus as a TV Provider

Exit the settings app

Go to the Telus TV + app

Go to the settings button located at the bottom right hand of the app

If you get a pop up asking to select Telus TV+ as a TV Provider, decline the request

You can accept notifications

Select Login

Enter user name (enter user name manually)

Enter password (enter password manually)

(avoid using the IOS keychain some have noticed issues with that function also)

And voilà! The app will log in.

The Telus app team needs better quality assurance and testing.

They also need to review integration functions with 3rd parties or steer away from all of these functions.

Hope this helps someone.

robba1
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you Sugata - Telus owes you.  I adapted your steps and used on my Apple TV box and it worked. In Apple box, go to 'Settings' (toothed wheels), and under 'Apps' and a few other categories, remove any references to TelusTV+ that you can find - there's a few to either turn off, or completely remove, ie. 'User and Accounts' > Apple TV Accounts; 'Apps' > TV; 'Apps' > TelusTV+;  That way, once you re-install the TelusTV= app, it will recreate the app throughout the Apple system. It's a shame that Telus doesn't employ technical people who are as ingenious as many of their customers. 

Worked for me also on the iPad and Apple TV, thanks Sugat, great sleuthing!