cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching shows by name

NHLchik
Just Moved In
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to search shows to setup series record. I just switched from Shaw and have to say I’m regretting the move to Telus. The “voice” remote only provides app results. If I speak the name of a tv show into it, it should bring up the show and record options, air times etc, no? When I try the search feature in the On Demand section, it will only give paid or app results such as YouTube or Apple TV watch options for $1.99/episode.

I know I get the channel in my package
I know it’s typically available On Demand
Tying to watch 4 days after original air date.
Searching using On Demand or Voice Remote are only giving apps as search results.

I just want to search all my shows to set them up on record.

Also: PLEASE change the name of Canucks games in the guide to “Vancouver Canucks” so I can record only Canucks games. Currently all NHL games are labeled as NHL so series recordings record ALL NHL games. There needs to be a way to record only one teams games.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Do you have examples of shows you're searching for? For what it's worth, there are 2 different voice search features:

1. Google Assistant (this is the button directly above the mute button), which searches across apps, YouTube and Optik TV On Demand content. If you press this button from anywhere in the user interface, it activates the microphone. If a program exists in the On Demand catalogue, it will appear, along with other places to watch (The Bachelor, for example, appears for TELUS TV+, Amazon Prime and Google Play Movies & TV). Google Assistant does NOT integrate with shows that are only on live TV (The National, NHL Hockey, etc.).

KHR_1-1708562659508.jpeg

2. Speech to text: If you navigate to the magnifying glass to the left of the Home screen and click OK, you'll activate the microphone. You can then say whatever show you're looking for. Movie results are prioritized over TV results if there's something relevant (a search for 'The National' will show movies like The National Health, for example, and the evening news program, but a search for 'The Big Bang Theory' won't display any movie titles). From here you can select the program and it will take you to the program details page, where you can restart a previously aired program, you can set a series recording, add the show to favourites, see upcoming episodes, etc. I almost exclusively use speech to text for searching, as it prioritizes Optik results and includes live TV and On Demand.

KHR_0-1708562645257.jpeg

KHR_2-1708562672002.jpeg

We are working on team-specific recordings, but for now, you can only specify the channel and the program; at least storage capacity is unlimited. For example, I record all NHL games on Sportsnet Pacific which is where the Canucks usually air. It does record other teams as well though. Whether it's Canucks or Vancouver Canucks in the guide makes no difference.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MrSL
Leader

Hi @NHLchik I feel your pain! Anyway... If you want to watch a current channel you have to say something like "Watch, or play Golf channel" or "watch / play channel 925"

It's nowhere near as intuitive as the Shaw voice remote (I was a 18 yr customer before moving here - regrettably) If you manage to find the program in the guide listing, a single press of the record button will record that episode, if you press twice it will record a Series.

You can configure whether to record just "New" or "New & Repeats". Be aware there is currently NO user OPTION to extend recording times or amend start time. Sports in general, if they are listed as NEW should record and additional 1 hour automatically and I think Tennis is 1 1/2(?).

As for the name change for the Canucks, Telus will tell you 'it's not them' they are listing the guide supplied by a 3rd party.

And Series recordings don't always work. It may, or may not just vanish or record multiples of the same program.

Every improvement is 'In the works' and I've heard that for the last 10 months... Still a LONG way off the functionality of Shaw / Rogers. 

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Do you have examples of shows you're searching for? For what it's worth, there are 2 different voice search features:

1. Google Assistant (this is the button directly above the mute button), which searches across apps, YouTube and Optik TV On Demand content. If you press this button from anywhere in the user interface, it activates the microphone. If a program exists in the On Demand catalogue, it will appear, along with other places to watch (The Bachelor, for example, appears for TELUS TV+, Amazon Prime and Google Play Movies & TV). Google Assistant does NOT integrate with shows that are only on live TV (The National, NHL Hockey, etc.).

KHR_1-1708562659508.jpeg

2. Speech to text: If you navigate to the magnifying glass to the left of the Home screen and click OK, you'll activate the microphone. You can then say whatever show you're looking for. Movie results are prioritized over TV results if there's something relevant (a search for 'The National' will show movies like The National Health, for example, and the evening news program, but a search for 'The Big Bang Theory' won't display any movie titles). From here you can select the program and it will take you to the program details page, where you can restart a previously aired program, you can set a series recording, add the show to favourites, see upcoming episodes, etc. I almost exclusively use speech to text for searching, as it prioritizes Optik results and includes live TV and On Demand.

KHR_0-1708562645257.jpeg

KHR_2-1708562672002.jpeg

We are working on team-specific recordings, but for now, you can only specify the channel and the program; at least storage capacity is unlimited. For example, I record all NHL games on Sportsnet Pacific which is where the Canucks usually air. It does record other teams as well though. Whether it's Canucks or Vancouver Canucks in the guide makes no difference.

MrSL
Leader

@A-BWhy the edit? Are we not allowed to remind people that there is an option to cancel a contract within a certain period of time?