cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
I setup to record the women's world curling championship as a series. This was done before the first game, and was setup on channel 900 TSN. On March 21 the morning game was recorded, but the evening game was not. I looked back in the guide and noticed that the evening game was broadcast on channel 901.

Telus are you recording the channel or the event?

This is also true for hockey. I setup to record the Edmonton oilers as a series initially on channel 915. March 21 game against Buffalo recorded, but what was recorded was "sorry due to regional restrictions this program is not available in your region", even though I have Center ice package.

Telus are your algorithms not intelligent enough to compensate for this?
Do I have to look through the guide every week, highlight programs that I would like to record, and hope there is no channel change and the program is recorded?
9 REPLIES 9

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

The metadata we receive for our guide is from a third party vendor, and sometimes if the broadcaster itself airs the wrong program or experiences a delay for whatever reason, it may not sync up. This is also true if a sporting event runs long into overtime, etc. (why we pad recordings for a set number of minutes afterwards just in case). While of course nobody's expected to go through the guide on a day to day basis all the time and record multiple occurrences of the same program, when it comes to sporting events there are a number of factors that do come into play.

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
Sounds like your passing the buck on this issue A-B!
FYI I just switched from Shaw to Telus. With Shaw I was able to record the event (oilers or curling) continuously through the season or week long event, and never missed an event. Shaws system was "smart" enough that it could pickup the program if it was on a different channel, would record the hockey game on Center Ice if there was a Regional blackout.

Try setting up a recording for yourself and you will see the issue!

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

In general, if you have the TELUS TV Digital Box and cloud recordings, the series recording is for the show and channel. It is set up this way as not everyone is subscribed to every channel. 

For example, I record NHL Hockey on Sportsnet Pacific to record Canucks games. It doesn't record all channels that show NHL hockey, as then there would be duplicate recordings (Canucks games are also shown on NHL Centre Ice, for example). 

It's unfortunate that the NHL has regional restrictions on TSN and Sportsnet but the guide data that TELUS gets from the 3rd party provider is across regions and Bell and Rogers don't update their regional restrictions in time to show up in the guide...so NHL Centre Ice is your best bet for recording to avoid being blocked if you're subscribed.

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
KHR, so if the game or event is moved to a different channel your out of luck?
You setup to record the canucks on Center ice, which channel as they always change?( Are you in BC?) Then if the canucks game is broadcast on CBC or Sportsnet your out of luck!
Telus cannot distinguish between regional or blackout and record on Center ice.

Try setting up a recording of a NHL team, you will soon see the issue.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Oliver61,

If an event moves due to a programming change by the provider, yes you would be out of luck in this case. For NHL Hockey, I only record Sportsnet Pacific - the Canucks games are always (or as near as I can tell) on this channel. If they are on CBC, they'll also be on Sportsnet. I'm in Vancouver, and never see regional restrictions for the Canucks, but I'm not actually sure how it works in Alberta for the Flames and Oilers; this is something that the NHL and Rogers have worked out.

One fail-safe would be to record all NHL Centre Ice channels. You'll have a few extra games to delete (I find deleting on my mobile phone via TELUS TV+ app to be faster), but storage is unlimited. You can also always take advantage of the restart functionality; most games that aired in the past are still available 30 hours after their air time. You can't fast forward commercials, but at least the game's there. 

TELUS does not currently have the ability to record by sports team. We are looking at adding that functionality, as well as improving series recordings across multiple channels for things like bonspiels, tennis and golf tournaments. I'm sure that there are pros and cons between TELUS and Shaw, otherwise you probably wouldn't have switched.

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
KHR
So to clarify I have to record every Center ice channel(1101-1116), every Sportsnet channe(911-921)l, every TSN channel(900-905) so I don't miss an oilers game or any other team? And do this EVERY WEEK looking at the guide?

This does not make any sense.
For instance March23 Toronto vs Edmonton. If I record this game as a series on channel 920, only games in the future on 920 will be recorded. Does not matter who the teams are.
The reason a switched was Telus offered me the moon, then did the Ole bait and switch with the offer. Got the CRTC involved and promptly got a call from Telus management! Funny how that works
I am located in BC

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi Terry,

As I mentioned above - Optik TV does not currently have the ability to record a single sports team. Recordings are set at the series AND channel level. What this means, unfortunately, at this time, if you want to record ALL Oilers games and ensure that you won't be affected by regional blackouts, you would either need to search for them individually in the guide, or set a series recording for NHL Hockey on all channels that play the Oilers games. Once you set a series recording on an individual channel, it is set for the balance of the season, you don't need to reset every week. Your upcoming recordings list will be updated as new episodes/games populate in the guide.

I don't want to argue that this is a better solution - I know that it's not. I'm simply suggesting how you can ensure that all of your games are successfully recorded. The fact that you support an out-of-market team complicates the issue as the providers and NHL have set up regional restrictions. Supporters of in-market teams like folks in Vancouver looking to record the Canucks need only set a series recording of NHL Hockey on Sportsnet Pacific. 

On a side note - I noticed that TSN has made the 2024 World Women's Curling Championship available On Demand 🙂.

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
Never was my intention to argue, just wanted to point out this issue.
Also having recently moved to BC from Alberta, there infact were were games that were blackedout regional, so with Center ice I was able to record.
I hope this can be rectified before next season.

Oliver61
Friendly Neighbour
Hello

You say that you record the canucks on sportsnet pacific(are you in BC). If the canucks are broadcast on CBC the game will not be recorded, unless you go through the guide and make the change. Or if blackedout on sportsnet pacific, but available on Center ice, the game will not be recorded.

The issue is not with NHL or 3rd party provider, it's Telus.

With Shaw I could record the team, preference 4k, add extra time.

Take a look at Rogers/Shaw recording capabilities. I think you would be impressed!

Terry Sawchuk