cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OptikTV and bandwidth usage

telus1203
Organizer

Telus internet monitors bandwidth usage. So if you go to youtube on your computer and uses 5GB then your bandwidth usage will go up by 5GB (obviously).

now, but what happens to your bandwidth usage if you use optikTV for these 3 things? does it increase when you watch live-tv or video on demand?

1. old OptikTV box  (livetv or ondemand)

2. new Optiktv android box (cloud pvr) also known as Telustv-21T  (livetv or ondemand)

3. telustv+ app (livetv or ondemand)

so that's 6  YES or NO questions

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm assuming you are asking about data usage since bandwidth is the maximum data transfer capacity of a given connection. Telus's website has a page about data usage here: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/what-impacts-your-data-usage

• Optik TV set top boxes do not count towards the data usage limits when viewing Optik. Third party apps like YouTube/Netflix will count.
  • TelusTV+ set top boxes on the home network, while using the TelusTV+ app specifically, won't count towards data usage. Any other apps used on the box will count.
  • TelusTV+ app on phone/tablet/PC will count towards the data used, as will viewing via the TelusTV+ website.

I'm not entirely certain if using TelusTV+ on a supported third party set top box like the AppleTV, Chromecast with TV or nVidia Shield will count or not. It's possible that they do.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

TelusTV+ on the AppleTV does not count towards data limit. All other apps count.

How is it that   Telustv+ app on  computer/phone,  the  data do count towards data limit  but,   telustv+ app on  appletv does not?

i wonder why that is

When you connect an AppleTV (my experience), you need to link the ATV to your Telus account in the “Service Provider” section on the app.  You connect it to your account, and it works like an Optik box.  IP tracking.

@Zman2k2 wrote:

When you connect an AppleTV (my experience), you need to link the ATV to your Telus account in the “Service Provider” section on the app.  You connect it to your account, and it works like an Optik box.  IP tracking.

Are you sure about that? It states specifically if you use anything other than the telus box that it would count as data.   If I do what you say I can use my own android box with the telus app and not consume data also?   I have a 1 year old or so android box that I could use as well as the telus app.

If I have unlimited bandwidth does it even matter? (Do they start throttling.)

The highest bandwidth for residential market in Canada is 8gbps with Bell in Toronto area. Theoretically no one can have unlimited broadband even if they have unlimited money lol.
Traditionally the data count just shouldn’t apply to rental boxes. Otherwise there’s less incentive for customers to pay extra. But everything is evolving now so policy might be changing. It could also be Telus finds that people rich enough to buy an ATV box usually don’t negotiate for a competitive deal so they bulge a bit on the data usage side hahaha.