cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optic TV & Samsung TV with 'voice activation'

Cedarhill
Neighbour

Just got a new Samsung TV. The TV's remote has 'voice activation'.  I'd like to be able to use this feature when using the Optic TV channels. Is this possible?

If not - how to 'talk to the TV'?  We had Shaw until recently and that feature is one we really miss!

5 REPLIES 5

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Cedarhill 

There is currently no TELUS TV+ app for Samsung TVs, so you won't be able to take advantage of your TV's voice control for your Optik subscription. If you want to 'talk to the TV', you will need equipment that both supports Optik TV (the TELUS TV+ app) AND voice control. For now, this is available on the new TELUS TV Digital Box, Chromecast with Google TV, Nvidia Shield and Sony TV. These all leverage Google Assistant. There is also a limited amount of voice to text capabilities in the TELUS TV+ app for Apple TV, leveraging Siri.

So if I use Google assistant it would work??

Sent from my Galaxy

Hi @KHR . You say "currently" no app for Samsung TVs. Is an app for Samsung TV under development? What about for Roku?

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Telus TV+ app availability--the door-to-door Telus guy was very clear that "all you need is a Smart TV, you don't even need the Telus digital box". I'm glad I asked for 2 Telus boxes; both my TVs are Samsung.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @DL12 

I can't share anything about features that haven't been released yet - but what I can tell you is that we get consistent feedback requesting apps for Samsung TVs, LG TVs, Roku and Firestick and are always looking to expand our app availability.

Apologies if the information you got from the sales person was incorrect. If your Samsung TVs support Airplay - you can cast the TELUS TV+ app from an iOS device - I know that this isn't the same as an on-device app, but it's something.

He might meant a smart tv box instead.