cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Pre-Instal

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour

Hello. I’m switching from Shaw to a Telus Wifi 6, Optik TV and home phone. I’d like the modem/wi fi upstairs with just the OTC in the basement. I’m running some Cat6 from the basement to the upstairs. I was thinking two or four lines should be enough as I’ll go through attic and can hardwire later. Not sure if the PVR can stay in basement and then I can utilize the Cat6 to the upstairs modem/wifi. Just trying to make space a plan ahead. The tech guys won’t tell u a thing. 

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your best bet is to talk to the installer when on site to see what is feasible without any additional charges. If the installer has to run wiring outside of a standard install, they may charge for it.

The PVR is a set top box and would be attached to a TV and connected to the router either through ethernet or coax depending on the wiring available where the fibre is being installed. The fibre ONT/router is typically going to be installed near where the fibre comes into your residence since the newer units have the ONT and router built into a single fibre connected unit. Wifi6 is a separate module connected by ethernet so it's location is more flexible if you have ethernet run to other areas of the house.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour
I’m confused, the website says the PVR isn’t a set too box and that all the TV’s use the 4K TV box while the PVR plugs in to the modem

Sent from my iPhone

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Link?

Any of the PVR I have experienced are a set top box as @Nighthawk described.

This page describes wireless boxes as extending the Optik to OTHER TV in your house. This indicates the PVR is attached to the primary TV in your house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"