cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Wireless Range for Optik TV Wireless STB

bernieyee
Neighbour

Hi,

I currently have Optik TV using the wireless set top boxes. One of them has poor range to where the Telus wireless hub is and running a cable through the house is not feasible. 

From my understanding, it's not possible to have the STB connect to my own personal SSIDs on my separate APs. I mean there is a way with a bit of hacking with IGMP snooping and WPS spoofing, but it seems like it doesn't work that well.

To keep it simple, if I were to get the Boost WiFi access points, would the STB be able to use the extended range? I called into technical support and they said it would, but I also read conflicting posts that says it doesn't. 

If someone has experience doing this, please let me know, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I opted for Powerline networking to get to a troublesome spot with poor wi-fi coverage. Works great and was super easy to set up.

Something like this should be more than adequate:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter (TL-PA4010 KIT) - Plug&Play, Power Saving, Nano Powerline A...

TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Kit (TL-PA7017 Kit) | Best Buy Canada

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Ok, nevermind, I figured it out.

Telus STB > TP-Link Deco X60 > TP-Link TL-SG108 > Telus wireless hub

This setup worked for me.

Paired the STB to the Deco and enabled IGMP, then connected the switch into one of the LAN ports on the Telus wireless hub.

I kept getting the television signal has been lost error earlier when I had the Deco set up in router mode with the Telus wireless hub in bridge mode.

This will have to work for now. I lose some control on the Deco side, but it's ok.

Weird, can't seem to edit.

Anyways, I wanted to clarify one point from earlier - I meant that with the Telus wireless hub in bridge mode and the Deco in router mode it didn't work, but the Deco in access point mode with the Telus wireless hub in normal mode worked.

I share a wireless STB with my 90yo Mother in law next door. She’s too far away from my modem/router to have the box work. With the Boost WiFi I have, she has 5 bars from 50ft away.