cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple TV not Working?

Pete1161
Organizer

Hi when I select the Telus App on Apple TV it opens and then immediately closes (undoing new system with recordings). This happens with all my Apple TV’s and I have deleted the App and reinstalled it with the same result.  I am on the latest Apple TV public Beta software so perhaps this is the problem.  Would appreciate if someone could let me know if they are experiencing the same issue so I know if the problem is on my end or not.  Thanks!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @gojets25 @Pete1161 @whitewater @CmndrTaco @Kolly @DrewOffTheBeat @Peltron @Rwagar75 @FuzzyLogic 

The Apple development team pushed an app update to the Apple App Store early this morning to address the issues with tvOS 17.2. If you go to the App Store, navigate to Purchased and then click on TELUS TV+, you can download the app manually. If you have automatic updates turned on, your Apple TV may have already grabbed the new app, or it may be scheduled to download sometime today. The latest version is 2.6.1 (474). Apple doesn't publicly announce official OS release dates in advance, and we were anticipating it to come later this week; they beat us by a day. Thanks for the patience.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Pete1161
Organizer

Sorry meant to say using new system

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you roll back to the non-beta version? Seems like a reasonable thing to try. It also appears there is an update to the beta:

Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 17.2 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available] - MacRumors

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Pete1161 

What version of the TELUS TV+ app are you on? I'm on version 2.6.0 (468) and tvOS 17.1 (21K69) and everything's working fine for me. As 17.2 beta4 was just released yesterday, that could be the culprit. 

While our developers do everything they can to make sure the app works on all publicly available OS versions, we can't guarantee compatibility with Apple betas.

Pete1161
Organizer

Thanks for your responses.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I can roll back. I have four Apple TV’s and updated them all at once - in hindsight I guess that wasn’t too smart :(.  I reinstalled the Telus App so it would be the most recent version.  Sounds like it’s a compatibility issue with the new Apple TV Beta and the Telus App.  Hopefully they will play nice shortly.  Thanks again for the responses.  Cheers Pete

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Pete1161

One of our Apple TV developers downloaded the tvOS beta and TELUS TV+ app version 2.6.0 (468) loaded up fine for him. We did just release 2.6.0 (468) yesterday, so you should either expect the update to be pushed to your devices over the next week, or you can grab the update manually from the Apple TV app store.

One other thing you could try is to turn off the TV Provider setting (Apple TV Settings --> Users and Accounts --> Apple TV Accounts --> TV Provider --> Allow TV Provider to Access TELUS TV+) You'll want to toggle to OFF.

Pete1161
Organizer

Thanks for the suggestions KHR.  Tried everything and the 2.6.0 App (468) still refuses to open.  I l also signed out of the TV provider page on the Apple TV and restarted the device as well.  I noticed the problem right after I installed the tvOS beta 17.2 (21k5356c) which was released a couple of days ago.  I have been on the beta program since I believe last June and have run many versions without this issue.  Is it possible the developer is running the previous version before Tuesday’s update?  Thanks Pete

I have the exact same issues Pete. But even my Apple TV is on non beta and all 3 of them are refusing to work. Extremely annoying.

Hi @DrewOffTheBeat and @CmndrTaco 

Can you please let me know what generation of Apple TV, what version of tvOS and what version of the TELUS TV+ app you're running? This will help our developers try to solve the issue. The first port of call should be to ensure that you're on the latest non-beta OS and TELUS TV+ app versions.

Further, when you say 'refuse to work', can you describe the issue? Is it that the app opens and then immediately closes? Have you turned off TV Provider in settings?

As mentioned previously, we cannot guarantee compatibility with tvOS betas, as Apple only makes these available to to 3rd-party at the same time as they make them available developers the public. 

I’ve had to use my phone or iPad to airplay stuff on Telus tv.. works fine that way via iPhone and iPad…. Both running the latest beta updates… just my Apple TV boxes are doing the same thing

CmndrTaco
Helpful Neighbour

If Telus actually had competent iOS developers, they'd already have known that the most recent betas have an issue. With Apple basically allowing anyone to sign up now, Telus needs to be more on top of this.

I'm not interested in using your Optik TV hardware, or that Garbage Android TV box you promote. I want to use my 4K Apple TVs. It's sad when RiverTV offers a 1000% better iOS experience vs. a muti billion dollar company like Telus.

CmndrTaco
Helpful Neighbour

Here. Let me do your job for you.

AppleTV model A2169 (4K gen 2). tvOS 17.2 (build 21K5356c). Yeah it's a beta. No you can't rollback. Betas are available to all now, no developer account required. So, while poop on me for installing. Poop on you for not.

Telus TV+ App ver. 2.6.0 (468).

Xcode crash logs: 

Oh.. your crappy forum won't allow me to paste them. If you have some other way for me to forward them, please advise.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Thanks - I've passed this on to our Apple developers.

Peltron
Just Moved In
Same issues here, crashes immediately after opening

CmndrTaco
Helpful Neighbour

17.2 RC out today. Still same issue. @telus, you've got a week before this releases to the masses.. so I guess get your "do the needful" people to fix whatever is busted before then.

Cmndr you seem like a real compassionate person. As the tech said the developers don’t get access to the betas in advance to the public release. Since you have the Xcode files why don’t you crack open your Dreamweaver and try to give it a fix since you seem to already be doing their jobs.

CmndrTaco
Helpful Neighbour

Oh frig off. 

Telus is a multi billion dollar company. They shouldn’t be putting out busted software / be on top of upcoming updates.  

Oh. Their developers do have access to betas. Previously, betas were only available to developers. Not us plebs. Now it’s open where anyone can install the betas. Even your glue eating ass could install it if you wanted. 

eff you. 

telus. Do better. 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi! Believe me when I say that our team is working as hard as possible to improve the Optik experience every day, and take all constructive feedback to our developer team. That being said, we definitely want to keep things civil here and not resort to unnecessary comments or talk like this.

Consider this your first and final warning. Thanks!

CmndrTaco
Helpful Neighbour

Reading some other forums of busted apps, one of the developers is claiming Apple broke "storyboards" in 17.2. Maybe that's useful to your developers.