cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS and Data Block

dpb
Just Moved In

I've noticed a number of older threads that attempt to answer this question without any clear answer, so I've submitted a query to Telus Support.

Text of Message Submitted to Telus Support

It would be most helpful to have an authoritative article that explains the relationship between mobile data and MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) and how to set-up a "data block" **for both prepaid and postpaid accounts**.

As I understand it, for MMS to work properly, Mobile Data must be enabled on the device, even though no (billable?) data traffic is required to deliver the service.  Nonetheless the user may incur data usage from other applications and, in order to prevent this, a "data block" is required at the account level.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any explanation or method in your support or self-serve admin pages, or in the mobile Android app to accomplish this.   There are a few threads in the Forum, but no clear authoritative answer.

If such information or functionality exists, I would most appreciate it if you would let me know where to find it.  If it does not exist, I would entreat you to develop both the functionality and the information on how to access it.

I will post an update when I receive an answer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

MMS may not use billable data (if you have a messaging plan) but it still uses data to send and receive MMS messages. They are not the same as SMS / text messages.

In terms of blocking data, when I log in to the iOS version of the My Telus app, and select the Usage tab at the bottom, dead centre on the next page is a toggle labeled "Data access on". Toggling it off should stop data access. I would imagine the Android version would be the same.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

MMS may not use billable data (if you have a messaging plan) but it still uses data to send and receive MMS messages. They are not the same as SMS / text messages.

In terms of blocking data, when I log in to the iOS version of the My Telus app, and select the Usage tab at the bottom, dead centre on the next page is a toggle labeled "Data access on". Toggling it off should stop data access. I would imagine the Android version would be the same.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

Turning off data access also turns off MMS unfortunately. What is needed is to set APN Type to mms and not default,supl,mms.

There are instruction for setting APN here:

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/activate-data-on-your-android-device#change_your_apn_set...

Not all phones allow you to change these settings however.

jtdlmc
Friendly Neighbour

Did you ever get a response.  I have the same questions.