cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Mike_C
Just Moved In
Called from 888-811-2323 which I assumed is still a legitimate Telus number. Person telling me if saving 40 % on my bill. I am a Telus employee and I asked for his employee number he gave 7575.not a valid number. When I questioned him he got angry. Said I should hang up if I thought he was a scammer End of call. Don't give out your info on the phone. They also called my elderly mother at about the same time. Be aware
14 REPLIES 14

xray
Hero

No real empolyee of any company would give out their employee number over the phone. Definitely a scam call. Unfortunately with caller ID spoofing the calling number doesn't mean anything.

Becks
Just Moved In
Employees do give their employee number, I work for Telus and we have an 6-8 digit employee number not 4. Not sure what you mean by “no real employee”, but that is what the company uses to identify people as a lot of employees just use their first names which is difficult to identify someone when trying to correct an issue.

It's a security risk to give out your employee number. It's linked to your benefits, payroll, access cards, VPN login, etc.

With your employee number and the info on your business card anyone could call the HR department of many companies and get a lot of info.

Otto2
Just Moved In

certainly not at my company, unless I sign in with my registered email and from a recognized device (that I normally use - i.e. IP Nr.), meaning if I use Wifi somewhere else, I would have to jump through a bunch of security hoops first in order to get in. 

Nink25
Just Moved In
The id they are talking about is the one left by the employee when they access your account. That has nothing to do with their payroll/ benefits and anything else personal.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I got a call from them too over the weekend. Correct Telus # on call display, dead air on phone. Since Telus had legitimately called before with that number on display, Call Control let it through. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero

I got a call from that number today and I have Call Control turned on. First time it was dead air. Second time there was someone who said they were marketing security systems or something. I was driving at the time and I answered it on my watch so I couldn't really hear what he was saying. I told him I wasn't interested.

I read somewhere that certain TELUS numbers bypass Call Control. I'm not sure how Call Control works exactly but if someone spoofs the TELUS number I think it would also bypass Call Control. If so that's a big problem.

https://www.facebook.com/edmontonpoliceservice/posts/fraud-prevention-fridaythis-week-eps-received-t...

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I went in to Call Control settings and banned that number. No calls since.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I receive numerous scam calls spoofing 1-888-811-2323, but I could not block that number on Call Control because you need to enter a valid name and there's no name associated with that number on the call log.  How did you do it?

You don't manually enter it. Go look at the call log and then look for the Block button below the caller you want to block.

Nink25
Just Moved In
How this works most of these scammers use bots to call. In which the call control blocks. Now if there was a person on the line all they have to do is follow the steps and the number that call from now has access to call you, until you block that number.

@Nink25 wrote:
How this works most of these scammers use bots to call. In which the call control blocks. Now if there was a person on the line all they have to do is follow the steps and the number that call from now has access to call you, until you block that number.

Yes, I know how Call Control works, I've been using it since the feature first came out. 99% of these scam calls that spoof a legitimate phone number use an automated dialing system. It's highly unlikely there will be a person to enter the correct code to get past Call Control.

The problem is the TELUS Call Control system bypasses the verification for their own number. i just got a call from this number and there was nobody on the other end. I had to manually enter it in the Blocked list. I'll see if the Blocked list will work or not on Globally accepted numbers.

xray_0-1669934534673.png

itujen
Just Moved In
I just got a call from this number. But how did it get through inspite having call block🤔

Noosiekins
Just Moved In

Been getting calls from this number... finally someone said hello after some dead air. My guy claim he's calling to see if he can offer me a better pricing for my home tv and internet. I told him I don't use Telus and that I have a contract with someone else. I did notice on the caller ID that the word "TELUS" is not centred... there are some weird space added to the back... kind of like "TELUS     " and That alone flagged me that it may be a scam.