cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone scam about new plan

Swany
Neighbour

Got a call from a non-native-English-speaking person claiming to be from Telus and offering me a new phone plan that is cheaper than my current land-line plan, similar to the Home Phone Lite plan. He knew some of my personal information so I thought it was legit. Stupidly I gave him more information about my identity, but I became suspicious and asked that he send me an email with the terms of the plan. He sent an official-looking email.  They'll sign you up and send you a free phone but they want a $20 deposit, which will be refunded when the phone is delivered. The email claimed to be from Telus Customer Support but the sender's address was [email protected]. I looked up Telusstock.com and it is registered to 1&1 Internet Inc of Pennsylvania. Then I noticed that there were several grammatical errors in the email. They gave a phone number of 1-604-998-2231. I called and there was no answer. They called me back and said to go ahead with the offer they needed my credit card information. I said I wouldn't do that over the phone and he said, "Don't worry, we're on a high-security line. All we need is your card number, your expiry date, and the three numbers on the back." End of call.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Swany Good catch. It's definitely not legit and we've flagged it to our internal fraud team. On your end, please check out this link for the Canada Anti-fraud centre and report the scam.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Swany Good catch. It's definitely not legit and we've flagged it to our internal fraud team. On your end, please check out this link for the Canada Anti-fraud centre and report the scam.

I tried your link to the Canada Anti-fraud centre but their sign-in didn't work (eternal spinning square). They say "Please be advised there are ongoing technical issues and you may experience difficulties reporting online or reaching the CAFC by phone" and that's what happened. I'll try again later. 

I just got caught in this scam today . Someone call from a number I did not recognize and then offered me a 40% discount on my home services I said I did not trust him and could have a call back number. I too got the official looking email from telusstock.com.  He said after he sent the email he would call back. While I was waiting for the callback I called the regulat telus customer support line. To be fair the representative I spoke to said there was no such offer and it was probably a scam - she did however say that telusstock.com was Telus technical support department -weird?  We agreed that this was probably a scam as she said Telus would only call with a number that our call display would recognize.

When I hung up from her the phone rang again and this was 1-888-811-2323 and the rep they were calling about the offer they had sent the emailHe explained the offer again and I said fine and then he sent my call to someone else. What cause me to end the call was that the next person I spoke to wanted my birthdate as he was going to sign me up for a new plan and needed this . I said I was not happy and wanted to speak to someone they said to call Telus and ask for a John Marshall. At that point i ended the call.  I  did not offfer any personal information except for my email address. I guess it is fair say if something is too good to be true it most likely is not

Those people have phoned me 4 times since then as if they had not already talked to me. At least I know now it's a scam. Unfortunately I gave them some personal information the first time they called, but I stopped short of giving my credit card info.

vlil
Just Moved In

Known Scam and Fraud List must be updated with that kind of scam, as it it getting more widespread. The worst part is that they now learned how to spoof Caller ID with real Telus 1-866-2273 number. This is a regulatory issue, I guess, to prevent this. I tried to discuss this with Telus fraud squad... never got an answer.

I got them caught on Email too... sent from AOL.COM. 🙂 Reported to AOL as well.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They can also fake the email address the message comes from as well. 

Turn on Call Control if you don't want to get the scam calls on your Telus phone. It's free and very effective at blocking the scammers using robocalls.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

niallp
Just Moved In

This scam is still active, got a call from 'Roy Alex' and offered reduction on my Telus landline costs. When he wanted my birthdate to confirm accepting the plan it just seemed too weird and I asked for more details. He had a really crappy line, kept cutting out, I told him having a lousy phoneline from a supposed phone company wasn't very comforting ! Eventually gave up ...

We are still getting the scam calls a couple of times a week. At least we know now to just hang up.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Swany  Have you looked at enabling call control? More information can be found here. 

CR1
Neighbour

I just had the same call from the same number. 604 998 2231.     I asked them clarifying questions and they passed me from one person to another without actually answering my questions...SCAM

nvdh
Just Moved In

Here we are in January 2022. Had a call from "Jennifer" with an Alberta Canada phone number, she was so happy to give my Telus account a big fat discount that it made me suspicious. I asked for the details by email, she sent them, I printed them and took them to a Telus store, right away they said it is a scam. Advised me to forward the email to [email protected] and then got a second confirmation about a big scam. I did not give out any personal information and I am happy it did not get to that point. 

xray
Hero

Good that you weren't fooled. The sad reality is these scammers must be fooling enough people to make it worth the effort.

You didn't need to print the email and take it to a Telus store to know it was a scam. Look at the email header information and I'll bet the reply-tomailed-by and signed-by are not telus.com. Ignore the from info as that can be spoofed. Legit email from Telus has header info like this.

xray_0-1642024237769.png