Mobility

Trusted answers and information about Mobility devices, services, and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Backing up your Android Device

Community Manager
  • Contributors:

If you were to lose or damage your device, you’d be feeling pretty down. The only thing worse at this point is if you’ve never backed up your phone and there is no way to recover your contacts and/or pictures.  Let’s talk about backing up your Android device.

Here are a few compelling reasons why you should regularly backup your device:

• The latest version is available for recovery/syncing
  • Data doesn’t need to be saved on your handset only (added benefit of downloading this information to another device if you so choose)
  • You have a sense of security knowing you can retrieve your data at any time in the event of a problem

Here are a few ways to back-up your phone:

Via USB cable connected to your computer

• Connect your Android to your computer using a USB cable
  • From your device hit the menu key and select USB connection
  • You will be prompted to a USB mass storage and select OK.
  • On your computer, you will see removable disk. Create a new folder and then drag and drop the files you want to copy to your new folder. I suggest you name the file with the model of your phone and the date.

Cloud apps

Cloud apps are applications that work through the “cloud,” a bank of hosted memory servers accessible through an internet connection.  Here are a few examples of some popular cloud apps:

• Box
  • Google Drive
  • Drop box

Natively on your Android device through the device account settings

• Download the cloud app to your computer or mobile phone
  • Navigate to “Settings” on your device
  • Select your Google account
  • Check all the data you wish to backup
  • Click on “More” then on “Sync Now”

This will back-up the selected data to your Google account via Google servers.  Remember you can set up your device to perform a backup periodically.  Better safe than sorry!

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
cora23
Just Moved In

Thanks for sharing resorce.

And after my test,I found a perfect software that empower user to transfer files from Android device to computer with simple clicks.What's more,it suitable for almost Android device,you do not need to worry about it's compatibility.