cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming USA

Cooljon7
Just Moved In
I'm in the u.s and I bought a package to talk to my wife back home. My question is will I still be charged roaming fees when my phone is on?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pamely
Ambassador

Hey Cooljon7, I don't think you will get charges as long as you made sure to add package on your account, you can keep your phone ON and no problem, you need to make sure to not use more than what you purchased ex. 50 minutes and you will use 100.. if thats the case you will get charge.

Something benefitial about the roaming packages that Telus is offering is that ALL OF THEM include unlimited incoming text messages, so you can receive as many text messages as you want and not get charged for it. If you are planning to use texting and your package doesn't include text messages (outgoing) you will get charge $0.60.

To avoid charges for data (internet usage) you can manually disable that option from your phone by going into your settings, usually there are 2 options for data which are: Mobile Data and Data Roaming, so you must turn both off. by doing that you can still use wifi at no cost.

I hope this information will help you.! Have a great trip.

Note: ** As long as you follow my tips you can keep your phone ON ALL THE TIME! and you wont have any charge.**

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mattitude
Connector

For roaming data charges, it depends on your phone and what you're running (apps, etc.). If you have a smartphone and you get your emails sent to you, you will definitely get charged for data usage, also if you have any apps that automatically download data like weather or stock quotes. But all phones have an option to manually disable data usage and many will let you automatically disable data usage when roaming. You can choose to turn back on the data when you're back home or using a Wi-Fi network.

If you're talking about voice and sms roaming, voice I can't imagine you get charged unless you pick up the call, sms you definitely WILL get charged a fee for receiving the SMS while roaming.

Pamely
Ambassador

Hey Cooljon7, I don't think you will get charges as long as you made sure to add package on your account, you can keep your phone ON and no problem, you need to make sure to not use more than what you purchased ex. 50 minutes and you will use 100.. if thats the case you will get charge.

Something benefitial about the roaming packages that Telus is offering is that ALL OF THEM include unlimited incoming text messages, so you can receive as many text messages as you want and not get charged for it. If you are planning to use texting and your package doesn't include text messages (outgoing) you will get charge $0.60.

To avoid charges for data (internet usage) you can manually disable that option from your phone by going into your settings, usually there are 2 options for data which are: Mobile Data and Data Roaming, so you must turn both off. by doing that you can still use wifi at no cost.

I hope this information will help you.! Have a great trip.

Note: ** As long as you follow my tips you can keep your phone ON ALL THE TIME! and you wont have any charge.**

View solution in original post

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

It really depends on how heavy of a user you are. I like to get Roam Mobility as you have UNLIMITED calling for a few dollars each day. Too bad you did not get an alternative SIM card prior to leaving Canada.

In your situation, I would walk over to Best Buy Mobile and see if you can get a Tmobile or ATT sim card. Note, some prepaid SIM cards do NOT allow you to call to a Canadian number. You might need to do some research first.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Then again, did you get Telus to unlock your phone first. Otherwise, ATT can sell you a prepaid dumb phone with a SIM card. I did this recently and was surprised to see it was only $15 plus the monthly package. Very affordable.

When getting a SIM card, pay attention to the coverage.  Discount carriers may have poor coverage when you go inside a building.