Renewing contract - disappointing phone call

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Last week I received a call regarding renewing my contract - which by the way still has 7 months left.  I was offered an Iphone 5 for free and then told I could actually renew my contract prior to its expiry - all sounded really good. Then came the catch - the contract would only be for 2 years which is fine that is what I had this time BUT to get a free phone you have to have a minimum of $70 + per month contract - that is $20 more than I pay now - I told the caller this was an outrageous amount of money to increase my plan by and in fact to get less - they basically told me that this is what all the "Big" companies are doing i.e. Bell and Rogers - I informed the caller that I went with Telus because they offered a better more personal service than the "Big" ignorant companies - Basically I was told that I could take or leave the offer but that it was the best I would get.  

Telus you suck - what has happened to you !!!!!!!!!  Really you cant give your loyal customers a better deal than $70 per month !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Im shopping around and you can basically shove your I Phone 5 who needs it.

Im really really disappointed and upset with your methods and your greedy attitude

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

All the new plans that include phones are more expensive. This is nothing new at all. This type of increase in cost / decrease in service kicked in when the CRTC forced cell providers into 2 year terms instead of 3. So in simplified terms, the cost of the phone per month is higher because it's a shorter term which leaves your with more expensive plans. Let us know how you make out with the other carriers as they all advertise the same cost plans when getting a new device. Minimum $70/$80 a month.

The other option you have is buy the phone outright from outside Telus. A lot of people are doing that now to keep their existing plan rates and features.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Guardian

The new 2 year contracts mandated by the CRTC means you are eligible for a new phone subsidy every 2 years instead of every 3 years. That's 33% sooner so the plan cost goes up accordingly.

"Im shopping around and you can basically shove your I Phone 5 who needs it."
Yes, you should shop around. You will find that this is the new norm as the CRTC has mandated 2 year contracts for every carrier. They made this rule due in part to complaints from customers about 3 year contracts being too long.