cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on Telus! Fix/change/update your e-sim support policies.

Sedg
Neighbour
I just received my brand new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. Amazing device, but that's not why I'm here today.
Please "Kudo" this of any of it applies to you.

My old/current device had a physical sim card and an e-sim activated for my second number.
Naturally, my main number with my physical sim swapped into the new device flawlessly. Paid for that sim years ago and have swapped it through at least 3-4 devices.
My second number was/is on e-sim. I already PAID for a single e-sim and simply needed to move my 2nd number to my new device. Can't just "port" an e-sim, and that's understandable from a tech perspective. What is INCOMPREHENSIBLE is being CHARGED for a replacement e-sim when it is for an existing account/number. If we can swap a sim for free we should be able to move our e-sim number for free as well. If I have ALREADY PAID for that precious QR code I should be able to move that e-sim, and associated number, between devices by just scanning it on the new device.
Secondly, why can't you just email us the **bleep** e-sim?!?! Let's face it. It's just a QR code! There is no valid reason we shouldn't be able to receive them via email. The ONLY reason Telus has for not doing so is SO THEY CAN CHARGE FOR IT!!!
I'm not debating the "cost" of provisioming an e-sim (insert exaggerated eye roll here) but the lack of logic in not supplying them for FREE when they are already free in so many places around the world. It's just, for lack of a better word... dumb.

So here's the ask:
1) Just give away e-sims like they are candy at a parade. It only benefits Telus to eliminate this consumer hurdle.
2) Allow front line support to just email us an e-sim when necessary. Most certainly when an existing customer has a number they need to move to a new device.
3) Code that QR (you know, the one we've already paid for) to fully provision our existing number on our new device.

C'mon @telus,
Is this really too much too ask?
Seriously. Yes, seriously.
11 REPLIES 11

Syaoran
Rockstar
It's a way to make more money. If you use Smartswitch. Does the eSIM transfer to the new device from the old device?

No. I was hoping it would.
Apparently the e-sim is a single use. Once registered to a device you can't reuse it on another device.
I'm actually going to try to remove my e-sim from my new device (effectively disconnecting my number) and scan the QR with my old device to see if it works.
I'll do it at the Telus store in case it messes things up. Lol!

Steve S.

How did this turn out for you?

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
I’m going to face this when I upgrade my iPhone later this year. iPhone natively supports e-SIM transferring between devices but Telus doesn’t support it so you have to pay the extra $20. It’s the usual nickel and diming of customers because they can. There’s no incentive for making this barrier-free for customers. There’s a rumour the physical SIM-free iPhone (released in the US last year) will be going to more countries this year. If it comes here, that’s going to suck hard.

That is more likely than not with Samsung also considering moving all North American model devices to eSIM in the next few years as well.

Hmmmm, I really don't think so.
Other service providers in North America provide free e-sims (Verizon and T-Mobile just to name two) as it's a feature built in to devices made by nearly every main manufacturer.
Unfortunately, all evidence points to this being just another Telus cash grab. 😒

As a T-Mobile USA customer. eSIM's are free when transferring from a pSIM to an eSIM, which can be done right in your account. If you are a new customer or need a new SIM for a new line. There is still a one-time fee for that new SIM, even if it is an eSIM.

That may be your experience with your T-Mobile plan but it appears ALL the main mobile providers in the US offer free sims (or esims if required) based on minimum plan usage. 🤷
I've been looking into it for travel purposes.

Syaoran
Rockstar
You must be thinking of prepaid, where the SIM or eSIM is included with the kit. I have a postpaid account with T-Mobile and Telus. The kit costs you $10 to $20 depending, which includes the SIM or eSIM.

jobrien
Advocate

I don't mean to be a Karen...but Esim is dangerous for so many reasons. The most obvious, is that if your phone gets stolen, lost, misplaced. The procedure needed to get a new Sim is flawed because it's hidden with a temporary QR code. Physical sims let you keep the packaging in case something goes wrong. You can track your phone's EMEI number using the last reported location of your Sim number. Neither Google or Apple will show you your sim number once it is set up in your device. And Esim does not let you port your number to another carrier. So while you could technically put a stopper on your existing Esim by deactivating it, your phone still has it linked and locked into it even if it's lost or stolen. Which means that you could be locked out of your number if any device tries to SMS it to port it out before you're able to get to it, all because you have an Esim. And your phone won't automatically inform you or restart if the sim is removed or added. So while I agree with you that Telus should update their policy of Esim, playing it safe, I couldn't stress this enough, having been a victim of port jacking myself with another carrier, is not too much to ask. The dangers and risks associated with Esim highly outweigh the benefits for keeping it around. I really think the technology needs work before it should be adopted as widely as it has been. Utilizing a non secure method of service on a secured device, is a recipe for disaster no matter how you look at it.

Syaoran
Rockstar
I definitely agree that eSIM's are a lot easier to be compromised. However, you can minimize the chance of that happening easily.enough. Even SIM's can be compromised by walking close enough to skim your phone. eSIM has the advantage though of being able to replace your SIM while roaming, in case you need to. I activated my eSIM in Virginia with very little issues, which were solely due to the ignorance of customer care not knowing how to activate one.