cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any benefit to using a new SIM card in my new iPhone 15?

Rustybuckle
Organizer

I just upgraded to an iPhone 15 (coming from an iPhone 13) and my phone that I ordered through Telus was mailed to me along with a new SIM card . The SIM card has a big '5G' logo on the front of the card. I'm wondering if I need to switch to this new SIM card to use 5G with my new phone? Or am I ok to just put my old SIM card into my new phone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you had 5G working on the iPhone 13, all you need to do is transfer the SIM to the new iPhone 15. Keep the new SIM somewhere safe in case you ever need to replace the old one.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you had 5G working on the iPhone 13, all you need to do is transfer the SIM to the new iPhone 15. Keep the new SIM somewhere safe in case you ever need to replace the old one.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you! Yes, I was able to connect to 5G on my 13mini. Although I found LTE coverage to be better in my neighbourhood. I’m assuming that’s a coverage/cell tower issue and not a SIM card issue?

CJR
Ambassador

You are able to continue using the same SIM however the new purple 5G SIM card would need to be used if wanting to connect to the TELUS 5G SA network (where it’s available) which will allow for faster speeds and lower latency.

The other option would be converting your SIM to an eSIM and then would have access to the SA network and continuing to stay up to date with any other enhancements that may require a new sim.