Can you reuse a sim card with another phone number?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

I transferred my phone number to the new smartphone with new sim card. The old phone still has its sim card in it. Can we get another phone number and reactivate the old phone with the old sim card?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. A SIM card can be used only for one account / number. Once you transfer your account to the new SIM, the old one is no longer usable for a different number. You can purchase a fresh SIM for a small fee and set up a new account on it so you can continue to use the old phone. If you are leaving the Telus Family (Telus, Koodo or Public Mobile) or planning to use your old phone while travelling internationally, you may wish to have it unlocked.

SIM Card info

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

SIM cards expire after I believe it's 45 days of not being used. If you have a phone with a SIM card that was recently taken off an account, it should be possible to register it on a new one in theory. If not, new SIM cards are fairly cheap.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some phones use different sim card sizes..... a warning about using adapters to swap the SIM card back and forth between phones.  If the sim card falls out of the adapter during installation/removal.... the pins will snag on adapter.  Resulting in very expensive repairs.  I refuse to use adapters.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

They can only be re-used on the same line they were on before within that 45 days.