Any Benefit to Unlocking Galaxy S8

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hello,  Is there any benefit to me unlocking my Galaxy S8? (any reasons not to?) If yes, how do i go about this? do I just call Telus support and let them walk me through it?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Unlocking your device benefits you for resale. As it isn’t locked to any particular carrrier. The person can activate it on ANY network.

If you’re an international traveller staying a length in time in one location. You can purchase a temporary plan/sim card, in the country you’re in. Instead of using easy roam.

Simply give Telus a call on your cellphone at #611 to have a CSR agent unlock your device.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Unlocking your device benefits you for resale. As it isn’t locked to any particular carrrier. The person can activate it on ANY network.

If you’re an international traveller staying a length in time in one location. You can purchase a temporary plan/sim card, in the country you’re in. Instead of using easy roam.

Simply give Telus a call on your cellphone at #611 to have a CSR agent unlock your device.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Neighbour

Does it do anything for me with regards to getting updates to the phone directly from Samsung, rather than waiting for the Telus variant?

Highlighted
Neighbour

Does it do anything for me with regards to getting updates to the phone directly from Samsung, rather than waiting for the Telus variant?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Your SIM card bases what carrier pushes the update. Doesn’t benefit you being unlocked that way for updates.