cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using UniFi access points with Telus wifi hub (arcadyan)

dan1234
Neighbour

Hello! I have a telus wifi hub (arcadyan) in the corner of my house! Pretty bad coverage. I have 2x UniFi wifi 6 lite's hard wired (main floor and second floor) and am running a switch which can do PoE to power them up. Is it possible to use the UniFi access points as the wifi? I don't need bridge mode as i'm not running my own router, I just can't find any information on if this is possible and how to set it up if it is. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sharing a link to the product page would be helpful. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sorry for the late reply! Here's the product page for the unifi 6 lite access point.

https://ca.store.ui.com/ca/en/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

DrPacman
Rockstar

@dan1234 Wrote: I have 2x UniFi wifi 6 lite's hard wired 

1. So first we need the Unifi App from the Google Play store (or IOS app store), download the app on your mobile phone. Or, you will need the stand-alone Windows controller from Ubiquiti Unifi itself. (https://www.ui.com/download/unifi/)

2. Next, we need to install the Unifi AP, make sure it’s connected with an ethernet cable to your network. When the LED is solid white, you know that the AP is connected and in the factory default state. Start the app on your mobile device/Windows machine.

3. The Unifi AP will show up in the list of discovered devices. Adopt all the Unifi devices. You may need to do a firmware upgrade as well.

4. If you don’t see the access point, make sure your WiFi on your mobile device is enabled, or make sure the windows machine is connected to the network via Ethernet cable. Alternatively, you can scan the QR code on the back of the AP. (Click on the menu top right > Scan QR) from a mobile device.

5. It will ask for a username and password, the default is ubnt/ubnt. Just pick a strong password and continue.

Scroll down and enter your Wifi name (SSID) and password. Click on Apply Settings when done. It will take a few seconds before your new network is available.

6. That’s all there is. As you can see, you can get a Unifi AP up and running within 5 minutes by just using your mobile phone. Just a little longer with a Windows machine.

As well, you may want to watch this install video to understand the process a little better... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XxMBxsQlus)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

https://mynetworktraining.com/p/ubiquiti-enterprise-wireless-with-labs - In this video I will show you how to download the Unifi controller, and install the unifi controller software on windows machine. If you like my way of teaching, you can join the Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise course on the link ...

Thank you for the detailed reply! I have 2 more quick follow up questions if possible.

1. For the set wifi name/password in step 5, is that the same wifi name/password that I initially set up on my telus router? Will it automatically act as a mesh network, using the strongest signal it sees?

2. Will the original telus router still be sending its own wifi signal, and this new Unifi AP will be a second point of said signal? 

Thank you for the help!

@dan1234 Wrote:  For the set wifi name/password in step 5, is that the same wifi name/password that I initially set up on my telus router? 

No, the will be the one that is set in the Unifi controller as it as the name implies controls all the Ubiquiti Unifi devices on your network.

The Telus router will still send its own Wi-Fi signal as you refer to it, that is unless you disable that segment in the router  itself..

Cheers...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.