cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rural internet 5 g hub

rdrowbotham
Just Moved In

I have been dealing with trying to get 5G for 3 months, today I'm told 5G is not available in our area.  I have spent at least 20 hour with support, technicians for nothing to change.  Telus has no idea where the new 5G hub belongs, first it is mobility, then it is home service, it takes about an hour of going between people to get the right department only to get no help.  Telus brags that they help low income families get connected, that is a joke, they only help those that live in urban locations, I guess only low income families live in urban centers.  I am so disgusted and frustrated with Telus especialy when our tax payers money put up a tower a mile from us and we cannot get proper service.  I would not recommend Telus to anyone as they have no idea what is going on within their own company and getting help is hours on the phone.

4 REPLIES 4

st0106
Advocate

Is that a new tower? Near a major road or tourist attraction? Which administrative district r u from?  

xray
Hero

@rdrowbotham wrote:

I have been dealing with trying to get 5G for 3 months, today I'm told 5G is not available in our area.

Did you check the coverage map for your address?

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/network#:~:text=Enjoy%20amazing%20coverage,Check%20my%20coverage

@rdrowbotham wrote:

I am so disgusted and frustrated with Telus especialy when our tax payers money put up a tower a mile from us and we cannot get proper service.

The mobility Infrastructure is not not publicly funded in Canada. No tax payer money was used to build it. Quite the opposite in fact, billions of dollars are paid by the carriers to the Federal government to get spectrum licenses. The last spectrum auction generated $9 billion for the government.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/5g-spectrum-auction-1.6124271

The tower near you may or may not be owned by Telus/Bell. You can check here:
https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/cell-tower-map-canada/

Dimo-X

And just to top up, is it that you're just not getting 5G or you're not getting any connectivity whatsoever? 

AM-FM
Neighbour

When I inquired, I was told an upgrade to the newer 5G rural Internet hub would be managed and build under home service. The same service that would bill out a landline or residential Internet And cable if you were in the city.

I am holding out for the plans and hardware to get better. For me the “joke“ was that I would surrender my MFT-279 hub on LTE which creates a possible 24 megabit download AND upload Speed even with just two bars of signal. And even that speed is being profiled and capped since a cell phone running right beside it can still get higher speeds. Makes sense. Theoretical limit for LTE is around 100 mega bits.speed even with just two bars of signal. And even that speed is being profiled and capped since a cell phone running right beside it can still get higher speeds. Makes sense. Theoretical limit for LTE is around 100 mega bits.I looked at the fine print For the 5G middle of the road 50 mega bit plan: reads “ UP TO 10 mega bit upload.“ Seriously? We are being sold this message in the tech media about 5G being the end all and be all of Internet with speeds starting at 1 THOUSAND mega bits and beyond; to support “the Internet of things“, and 50/10 megabit down/up  is the best speed an end customer can get? Until the carriers smarten up and bring an offering that delivers Internet customers want and need: avoid avoid avoid