cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my telus gmail does not have google chat

specialbat
Neighbour

in gmail all settings there is supposed to a tab for "chat".

I do not see this in my telus.net gmail acct

I have checked with other gmail users and they have this tab

Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

Google Chat is a separate service (product) provided by Google. Chat is not part of the email service. Chat logon uses your gmail account as a logon, just like the way you access other Workspace products like Map, Meet, Drive, etc. When Telus moved their email service to the gmail platform they did not pay for the full suite of Workspace products. They merely replaced their existing email platform with the gmail email platform. The GMail app knows which products the account has access to and only shows you the integrations to other products that are available. If you log on to the GMail app with a regular [email protected] account you will have Chat available.

As for the Chats you see, it's just a system label (folder) and not a link to the Chat service. I'm not sure why it's even there as I believe it was used to log Hangouts messages. As far as I know Hangouts is deprecated and will soon disappear. It's probably a gmail app bug that Chats even shows as a label.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

DrPacman
Rockstar

@specialbat Wrote:

in gmail all settings there is supposed to a tab for "chat".

I do not see this in my telus.net gmail acct

I have checked with other gmail users and they have this tab

Please advise

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not being facetious at all... You did click the down arrow (More) on the left hand side to expand your options, correct?

If indeed you have, then my suggestion would be to log into the Telus email support chat at (https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/topic/gmail?INTCMP=Tcom_supporthome_to_email) to see if they may be able to correct and fix your problem.... Cheers

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus isn't using the regular public Gmail platform. They are using the enterprise equivalent service that I believe was renamed to Google Workspace and the feature set is not identical to standard Gmail or a standard Google account. For the full Gmail and Google feature set, you would need a Gmail account.

@DrPacman - Tech support will not have the ability to enable individual features on Workspace at all. The feature set applies to all Telus.net email accounts as a whole, all several million of them, not individual accounts. People far up in management would have to determine which features they want enabled for all accounts as Google will charge money for them.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

So telus.net email is a kind of gmail lite? How do I know which other features are not available? for example gmail account is used for youtube.

My ualberta.net gmail has chat enabled.

Is there any way I can get full features with my telus email?

@Nighthawk Wrote: Tech support will not have the ability to enable individual features on Workspace at all. 

I don't believe this is a feature that has not been enabled for everyone, as before I made the post, I verified that the feature was enabled on a generic Telus email account.

Cheers...

It is not enabled for me

Note : I have "chats" but not "chat". these are 2 different things apparently

@specialbat Wrote: 

Note : I have "chats" but not "chat". these are 2 different things apparently

---------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, I was not aware of this either... I as well have "Chats" and not "Chat" so i'm unable to be of more assistance to you. Looking through all the applicable settings I see nowhere to enable this feature... Sorry...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

xray
Hero

Google Chat is a separate service (product) provided by Google. Chat is not part of the email service. Chat logon uses your gmail account as a logon, just like the way you access other Workspace products like Map, Meet, Drive, etc. When Telus moved their email service to the gmail platform they did not pay for the full suite of Workspace products. They merely replaced their existing email platform with the gmail email platform. The GMail app knows which products the account has access to and only shows you the integrations to other products that are available. If you log on to the GMail app with a regular [email protected] account you will have Chat available.

As for the Chats you see, it's just a system label (folder) and not a link to the Chat service. I'm not sure why it's even there as I believe it was used to log Hangouts messages. As far as I know Hangouts is deprecated and will soon disappear. It's probably a gmail app bug that Chats even shows as a label.