cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does Telus ONT battery backup last in power outage?

clarkg888
Just Moved In

I just got fiber installed. The technician insisted that the land line needed to be moved to the phone port on the ONT.

My wife is not happy that our land line is now subject to a battery backup during a power outage versus the essentially 'always available' old land line.

Does anyone know how long the battery lasts during an outage?

I could not find anything on this searching the Telus site.

Can I get them to switch it back?

thanks,

Clark.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not sure how long the local backup lasts but the one thing to note is that with landlines, they also did have power backups and batteries but they were located in a central location rather than at the house. Are you in an area that has frequent power outages?

As for switching back, that's not likely. Telus is in the process of switching their entire network to fibre and dropping copper.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not sure how long the local backup lasts but the one thing to note is that with landlines, they also did have power backups and batteries but they were located in a central location rather than at the house. Are you in an area that has frequent power outages?

As for switching back, that's not likely. Telus is in the process of switching their entire network to fibre and dropping copper.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@clarkg888  Early 2018 we had a 24 hour outage had to drag out an old rotary dial . It worked fine for the few incoming  3-4 calls. Used the cell for anything we dad to do.Polecat

polecat
All-Star

@clarkg888  Had to nose around a bit . 8 to 12 hours depending on use of  (hardwired) phone.   Cordless phones will not work because they are plugged into 120 volts. So hardwired phone only. If the cell tower generator fails and their battery bank also fails the cell  won't work either. Polecat