cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring multiple WIFI (B20A) Access Points

TalkDoc
Just Moved In

I have the new Telus Fibre modem and the white cylindrical WiFi access point that connects to the fibre modem via coaxial cable. Our home was wired for "cable" years ago so we have coax from the central data panel to all the rooms. I have been able to place the WiFi access point in any of the rooms.

1. I understand the B20A WIFI Access Point device can provide "smart" coverage with additional compatible (B20A) Access Points.  Can anyone confirm this?

2. Would multiple B20A devices communicate through the same coax cable using a standard splitter?

3. What other B20A compatible devices are available for wider coverage?

4. We don't have cable vision service, so the cables don't carry any other signals and are physically disconnected from the home network. However, could the coax cable carry both signals (Cable TV & Telus wifi) concurrently (a bit like ethernet over power line)?

1 REPLY 1

Josh_Cote
Friendly Neighbour

@TalkDoc wrote:

I have the new Telus Fibre modem and the white cylindrical WiFi access point that connects to the fibre modem via coaxial cable. Our home was wired for "cable" years ago so we have coax from the central data panel to all the rooms. I have been able to place the WiFi access point in any of the rooms.

1. I understand the B20A WIFI Access Point device can provide "smart" coverage with additional compatible (B20A) Access Points.  Can anyone confirm this?

2. Would multiple B20A devices communicate through the same coax cable using a standard splitter?

3. What other B20A compatible devices are available for wider coverage?

4. We don't have cable vision service, so the cables don't carry any other signals and are physically disconnected from the home network. However, could the coax cable carry both signals (Cable TV & Telus wifi) concurrently (a bit like ethernet over power line)?

Yes the new Telus Boost V2 does provide a "Smart mesh wifi" when there is more than 1 of them present in the network. Yes you can connect more than 1 of them over coax using a Holland IPTV Coaxial Splitter. Yes your could use the same coax line to hardwire a Telus Optic TV Set Top Box if you wanted cable TV, however I'm not sure how it would work with other providers. Keep in mind Telus estimates 1 of these boosts is able to cover 2500 square feet, sometimes less is more when it comes to WIFI access points.